Pick one of these lenses please

etan_lightstone

Sorry to bore you with a question that likely gets asked every 20mins

here.

The following are a selection of lenses in a price range I can handle.

even the one for close to 800.00 is pushing what I'm willing to spend.

I have a canon 300D (1.6x sensor)

I just need a (single) good telephoto zoom that's the best all purpose

zoom I can get. I'm not a pro, but sometimes I do some contract

photography work. This one telephoto zoom might be used to shoot

landscapes (not wide obviously) to sports, or even a play rehersal. I

AM WILLING TO SACRIFICE DARKER F-STOPS FOR COST, as long as the lens

is sharp.

I already have a *barf* Quantaray 100-300 4.5 -6.7 (although for some

reason my 300D only shows 5.6 at the 300 end). And this lens is quite

soft. Also, the focus motor sounds like its grinding human bones.. and

is slower than other supposedly slow motors :)

Anyhow here is the list... if you feel something is missing let me know:

sigma 135-400mm F4.5-5.6 for 549.0

sigma 70-200 2.8 for 789.00

canon 70-200 f/4.0L for 584.00

canon 70-300 IS USM 564.00

Tokina 80-400 4.5-5.6 for 450.00

Tokina 80-200 2.8 for 609.00

>Sorry to bore you with a question that likely gets asked every 20mins here.

If you say "likely" that suggests that you haven't taken the time to search the forum for

previous answers to the question. Which, as you have correctly guessed, is frequently

asked with many variants.

So. Please search the forum.

Or just get either the 70-200 4L or the 70-300 IS depending on whether you need IS or

longer reach. Since I'm not psychic and since you haven't really described well what you

need the lens for, I can't answer that.

I should begin by stating that I don't have any experience with any of these lenses, but from

my experience the canon lenses seem to be the best. If it were me I would probably go for

the 70-200 f/4 and then buy a 50mm f/1.8 (should be around $100) for the real low light

situations. I hope this helps out in some way.

<i>"Don't think the 70-300IS is one that has panning mode in it's IS"</I><P>Actually, <a href="http://www.photo.net/equipment/canon/70-300is/review.html">"it has a dual mode 3rd generation IS system which allows horizontal panning"</a><P>We love our 70-200/4L, and highly recommend it. But the 70-300/IS does get good reviews, and IS can be very useful with telephotos.

You suggestions make sens to me.

I suppose if I'm already forking a potential 584 for the 70-200 4.0 I might as well considering the extra few bucks to get the tokina 80-200 2.8.

Also the 50 1.8 isn't very useful in this context.. its hardly telephoto and I already have the wide and mid range covered. And I already have the 50 1.8 and I never end up using it.

I use the tamron 28-75 2.8 I have instead... which might add is pretty much just as sharp

Ummm...why did u leap to the Tokina? Most of the posters said to get the Canon 70-210 or 70-300. I see the Tokina or Sigma is faster, but Canons have a better reputation unless you really need the low light capability. I have the Canon 70-200 F2.8L and love it (used for $990).

Canon 70-200 f4 L. I had the first version of the Tokina 80-200mm f2.8 and it was truly garbage, very soft. Even the $150 Canon EF 70-210mm f3.5-4.5 USM put it to shame. For this reason I have my doubts about later versions, and the Sigma. There are as many people happy with their Tokina as their are the Sigma.

Of course if you could live without zoom there is the Canon EF 200mm f2.8 L in the same price range as the lenses listed.