dealer has offered me a Linhof Color 6x9 monorail (made from 1960 to

???) with a Schneider Symmar 150/5.6 and Schneider S-Angulon 65/8,

plus 6x7 S-Rollex back, for around 1000 UKP (ca. 1600 USD). This

sounds really interesting - is it good value at this price, and does

anyone have experience with this camera? The price is about my limit,

so clearly a new technical or monorail plus a good lens is probably

out of the question. As ever, MFD-ers� opinions will be greatly

appreciated. Tony H

I am currently looking at a Fuji 680 III. I think its an ideal medium format camera that has large format movements, great for product photography and interiors. The earlier versions should be within your price range. My research in several forums suggest that the Fuji lenses are great!

Checkout this particular user's comments: http://www.photoshopper.com/forum/medium/4348.html

Tony, if you want to be able to take your camera into the field you should buy either: (1) a 6 x 9 technical field camera, or (2) a 6 x 9 Arca Swiss. There are some cheaper, older Galvin 6 x 9 monorails I think, but they will probably lack most of the conveniences and niceties of the others. It's not true that the 6 x 9 technical field cameras (Horseman VH, 985, etc. and Technika 23s) lack wide angle capabilities. The Horseman VH easily takes 65 mm lenses (about same angle of view as 28 mm in 35 format) and I use it regularly with a 58 mm XL SuperAngulon which is mounted on a readily available aftermarket recessed board. (The 58 mm is about equivalent to a 25 mm angle of view; you can also use a Grandagon 55mm lens on these cameras, which is about equivalent to a 23 mm.) The most recent Technika 23s (maybe also some older ones) are even better suited to wide angle lenses; they have a second focusing rail inside the camera that lets you use lenses down to 47 mm or 45 mm I think (about 20 mm angle of view in 35 mm format). I personally would recommend either a Horseman or Technika. They're very light. The Horseman cameras and accessories are cheaper than the Technika. They're very capable cameras. There was recently a Horseman VHR (the "R" means you can also use it as a rangefinder) on sale on EBAY with 4 lenses and 3 or 4 backs for about $2300. That's a great price. You should look up completed items on EBAY for "Horseman," and write the guy who had tried to sell it. I'm pretty sure no one bid on it. Midwest Photo Exchange is a great store to buy used large format equipment from (I just got a beautiful mint Schneider lens from them at a highly reduced price) and they carry a lot of use Horseman and Technika cameras. If they don't have what you want now call back in a week; they're entire stock turns over very very quickly. Arca Swiss 6 x 9 monorails are reputed to be very nice also, but they're much more expensive and hard to find used. I recently saw one for sale without lenses for about $2,000. I doubt you'll find a better deal than that. Although the Arca Swiss will give you a lot of flexibility for movements and wide angle lenses, it's less portable than the technical cameras. You'd also need to carry an interchangeable bag bellows, which you won't need with eihter of the Technical cameras. My advice is get a good used Horseman, buy one or two lenses (depending on how many you can afford), then, if you like it slowly upgrade, buying different accessories, lenses, etc. If you get into large format (or 6 x 9) you will find that there are a limitless number of accessories/modifications you can do to your camera to make it more user friendly (i.e. I just got two new focusing screens that make it really easy to focus and compose almost as easy as an SLR). The lenses for large format cameras are unsurpassed (Rodenstock, Schneider, Nikon, Fuji) and much lighter than a Fuji 6 x 8 camera. Toyo 4 x 5s are ok, with a 6 x 9 roll film back. They're at least 2 lbs. heavier than the 6 x 9 technical cameras, however. Also, each 6 x 9 back for 4 x 5 cameras is larger and heavier than the 6 x 9 backs for 6 x 9 cameras. The lensboards are also bigger and heavier on the 4 x 5 cameras than the 6 x 9s.

• 6 months later...

Anthony,

I am partial to Arca-Swiss. They make a fine F-line and F-metric 4x5" view cameras and each is well suited to architectural work. They work well in the field (outdoors) or on location. The 4x5 camera will give you the versatility to choose between large format (4x5)and medium format if you purchase a roll film back (plenty in the used market). You can select 6x7cm, 6x9cm, and/or 6x12cm. "Midwest Photo Exchange" has a good reputation and has advertized used Arca's. Rod Klukas at Photomark in Phoenix, Arizon sometimes has used Arca's. You will find that Schneider, Rodenstock, and Nikon make fine wide angle large format lenses that should suit your needs. Search ViewCamera magazine (1998 & 1999)for lens reviews by Norman McGrath. He is also delighted with Arca-Swiss cameras. KB Canham makes a fine 4x5 metal camera that is light weight and travels well. There are used Arca's in the market, but they are far less plentiful than Deardorff's and Wisners. Good luck and best wishes, Jim