E6 nitrogen burst tank line ?

Does anybody still run E6 in a manual tank line...Nikkor reels,

nitrogen burst etc? What kind of film volume is needed to keep what

amount of chemistry stable? A dozen rolls daily?

Stainless steel sinks/tank/reel lines are cheap and far better than

rotary systems for quality, as good as high volume dip/dunk assuming

routine replenishment and monitoring....but I wonder if anybody still

does it? Might be a niche market, filling in behind dip/dunk labs that

get out of the business.

I don't know the exact value for "X". Sorry.

I do know that the E6 process has to be run just about daily if you have open tanks as described here, and the changes in the process are due to aerial oxidation of the two developer solutions and also the pH drop of the color developer as it absorbs carbon dioxide from the atmosphere. This latter change is not insignificant.

Kodak kept their E6 process seasoned by using it daily, and the trade recomendation was the same for deep tank processing. Using Nitrogen burst helped a little as it purged air from the solutions, and put a head of nitrogen over the tank, provided you had a good tight lid on the tank and a floating lid both.

Ron Mowrey

John, If you use floating lids + modified covers that seal good with spigot in order to flush out the remaining air with nitrogen, you will need little activity over a long period.

Considering storage time table for working strength mixed dev. divide that by 2 to be safe then if you can process enough films as to replenish half the thanks volume about 6 liters for devs or only 60 some rolls during that period, you should have no chemistry problems (remove/filter chemistries & clean thanks as you sees fit).

A few years ago I prepared for these times (smaller custom pro-lab) but after 30 years in the dark I don't have the heart anymore...

If you are interested I have an almost ready to go dream installation!

I designed & built a control panel with simple electronic controls for temp & agitation. It can be adjusted to any temp from 20 to 40 Celsius, it will control heating / chilling & multiple gaseous bursts agitations cycles & durations. (chilling for B&W in Florida!)

Plus a bunch of thanks / reels / sheets holder / wash thanks (bottom flush)

Will shoot some images of the beast to post if you are interested.

regards

It's in my warehouse, on a shelf behind a disassembled Compact 140VS dual dev B&W REFREMA only one build like that in the world, one can chose between two different developers at any time, interested? ;-)

I will go by Tuesday for sure, but don't know if I will have or need help to get to it.

regards

Also this is interesting, a custom built dark box with three compartment row for stainless steel size film reels.

You can load ahead all your reels then close & latch the box to keep them safe, and turn on the light to prepare run.

When everything is set turn off lights & go!!! just have to drop the reels in your basket or you can also load ahead of time for the next run on a rotary processor.

It was built by a true craftsman, a peace of darkroom art!

Can give more details if someone want to build one.

regards<div>00FQ5D-28446784.jpg.52b6ed2b50deff7d98329771926cba9f.jpg</div>

• 1 year later...

At last sorry for the long delay on a promise.

Here is the ready to work control unit that can be used to create almost any burst tank line set-up, controlling temperature to 0.1C heating and cooling, burst agitation cycle on and off duration for nitrogen and air.

To complete the wet system you only need regular parts available at place like Grainger.<div>00L4Nl-36426984.thumb.jpg.752df0ebefc6d1441ddac45a5412e502.jpg</div>