terry manier

Hi everyone,

Well I have a great question for all of you! I have been waiting for

sometime to upgrade my camera EOS D60. I am looking at the

1D Mark II N. I know that pretty much anything is better than what

I have but I'm trying to decide between the 1D MII N and the 5D. I

shoot pretty much anything. Mostly nature,

architecture(indoor)(outdoor) and surfing/sports. OK MY

QUESTION IS... Why would I buy one camera over the other.

Also, if someone could explain a lens focal length conversion

factor and why its used and not used in cameras that would be a

bonus question. As always I really appreciate all of your wisdom

and help. Cheers

Woah. Coming from a D60?

First. . the 20D and 5D use basically the same AF system. Both will have superior AF performance to the D60. Much superior. Not just number of points, but also AF performance. Then there is the fact that the center AF point is high precision.

The 5D, 20D and 1D-IIn also have better low noise performance at ISO 800 and above (maybe you could even see it at ISO 400.)

The 20D has the same crop factor as your D60.

The 5D is full frame. And 10MP. That's why it costs more. What does that mean? Two things: One, your lenses all got shorter. Second: On any given shot, your DOF will be shorter. (that's good).

On the minus side: Full frame 10MP will review all the edge warts on your lenses that the D60 cropped out.

The 1D-IIn is a 1.3 crop camera. Half way inbetween the 5D and 20D. But what you pay for here is SPEED. The AF system is LIGHTYEARS ahead of the D60. And Lightyears ahead of the 5D. Faster (needs two CPU's!), more accurate! (more Af points, more high precision AF points, smaller AF target area)

Also. .. the 1D-IIn is built like a tank. Designed for war zones. Full weather sealing. AND. . .it is fast. 8FPS. Until you run out of flash card (well, maybe a 40 frame buffer.. .).

Much better camera. . .just a slightly smaller sensor than a 5D.

For architecture and landscape, AF speed is meaningless. I shoot with mine on manual focus, manual exposure. But then, you mention surfing! WOW! Thats quite a range of work. If the surfing is a significant part of our work, I believe that you want the 1D M2n as with a fast card, you can shoot bursts almost for ever, sensor crop helps with long shots, and the frame rate is WAY faster. With the 5D you will be frustrated if you do sports. The wave breaks as the buffer fills and we hear Terry cursing on the beach. Not a family moment ;-)

On the other hand, if architecture is your meal ticket, like it is mine, FF = survival. Your favorite wide angles are a wide again! You need this for you shift lenses. I personally could not work without FF. ymmv.

If the main stay if arch, and sports is a hobby, I would still get FF. I would get a used 1Ds. Prices are down to $2400, and after PMA, they will plummet further. I think that we will be 1Ds bodies with scratches but fully functional for $2200-2000 before you know it.

If you are a serious amateur, get a used 1DM2 - no N, for a bargain. You will have a serious pro camera and you can shoot with a digital zoom lens when you need the greater angle of view.

Wishing You Great Light!

Paul