Macro's for weddings?

jc5066

I am intrigued at the suggestion that the 100mm f/2.8 macro may be used for portraits. I was considering the 100mm f/2.0 but the f/2.8 would obviously offer far more versatility if it can be used for both macro & portraits. How's the bokeh though?

It's always handy to keep a macro SOMETHING in your camera bag, especially if you shoot film: You never know when you'll run into a situation where you slap yourself on the head and think "Sh*t -- I wish I had a macro with me."

The best way is obviously a lens designed to focus in closely: You'll be surprised how inexpensive good used MF prime and zoom lenses with macro capability are on eBay. Extension tubes also work, but you have to compensate the exposure for bellows factor. Lastly, when I'm travelling light, I bring along "eyeglass" filter style magnifiers.

You have to watch your lighting with a macro (or esp. micro), as your on-camera flash casts wacky shadows: This is why a real macro lens is better than an extension tube or filter magnifier, as you aren't throwing away any stops and have a better chance to snap the shot with ambient light.