Identifying a Hasselblad screen I've just bought

websterforrest

Hi Everyone,

I hope you're all well. I just bought a Hasselblad body with a screen in it that looks a little

different to my existing screens. It's got the four black lines in the middle in the shape of a

plus sign, there are no focusing aids such as microprism or cross-hair. The entire screen

is matt with the faintest visible fresnel lines. So far this is the same as my other screens.

But the

thing that is different is that there is a large (i.e. approx 41mm diameter) circle wherein

the screen

is slightly but distinctly brighter. It's a perfect circle, so not some stain or anything. This is

the first time I've seen this. Can anyone tell me what this type of screen is called? It came

on a 1982 (RH) body if that's any help - and I believe it is the original screen for this body.

Many thanks for help with this rather geeky question.

Best wishes,

Webster Forrest

London

Webster, I used to have one on my old 500 c/m and used it a lot with my 120mm for macro work. It is a ground glass screen, not a fresnel screen, and now that you mention it, I haven't seen one since my old camera was destroyed. I believe it is a genuine Hasselblad screen (I worked for the distributor at the time, and probably bought it direct). It is a very nice screen, and I got a lot of use out of the four lines in the middle when it came to checking the level of the camera and perspective. It is a true glass screen as I recall, not a plastic one. I would hang onto it.

Cheryl,<br><br>What screen would it be then?<br><br>I don't think, by the way, there are Hasselblad screens without a Fresnel lens, except, maybe, the Opto-Fiber thing. I know there are no Hasselblad screens where the four lines of the reference cross meet in the middle.<br>So i'm very curious about what you screen this might be. ;-)

Are you sure it's a 41mm diameter circle?

There's the screens for the 202FA and 203FE Hassies, they've got a wide

circle (corresponding to the metering zone), with four radiating grid lines

entirely within the circle, exactly as you describe but the circle's more like

30mm in diameter.