loading film in a2e

ratface1

Being a digital man, I haven't shot much film in my life. I've been

searching google and the photo.net forums all morning, and haven't

found an answer, so hopefully somebody here can. I recently found an

old Canon A2E sitting in a box unused since our papers switched to

digital, and I've decided to try it out, but I can't get the film to

load....my understanding is I put the film in, draw some out to the

orange indicater, and close the back...is there something I'm missing?

The manual is MIA, and I can't find an online manual.

Any help?

I have an A2E collecting dust in my closet, but loved it for years.

As best I can remember the method you decribe is correct. Once you close the back the camera should whine for a second as it draws film around the takeup spool.

I will try to remember to check the camera and the manual when I get home.

I just put a brand new 2CR5 battery into it. Once I pop the film into the camera, draw it to the orange line, and close the back, all that happens is it reads the ISO, then an icon which looks like a roll of film blinks. It doesn't draw the film in, make any sounds or do anything. I even sprayed out the inside to see if any dust was preventing it from reading hte film, but it didn't help!

Pull the film leader out just a touch farther and try again. Failing that, wind the leader in just a touch farther and try once more. Sometimes the camera doesn't grab if it doesn't have just as much leader as it wants.

An A2E owner.

Sounds like you're doing it correctly. And Bob Keefer's right....pull the leader out just a touch farther. Not to ask the obvious, but you tucked the leader down behind the take-up spool by the orange indicator instead of just leaving it flat against the orange mark when you closed the door right?

Anyway, if you can get it to work, have fun. It's still my favourite Canon SLR ever, digital or film.

i've tried loading the film to the orange mark in a variety of lengths (yes, tucked behind the spool), tried different films and still no luck. Without film in it, everything else seems perfectly functional on this camera, so I can't understand why only the film loader could be broken.

Any other thoughts? Thanks for all the suggestions.

Contrary to some of the above posters I have the experience that loading film in an EOS-5 requires the film to be pulled out not too far. It is better that the film just touches the orange mark than it crosses it a few millimeters. The blinking film icon indicates that the film is not properly loaded. I think that you should hear a whirring sound when the camera tries to load the film. And remember, perhaps it is broken.

You load the film.

Close the back cover/door.

Turn camera on.

At this point it reads ISO and advance the film to the first frame (assuming the battery is good - and you placed a new CR5, as I read).

At least my camera (A2E) works this since I bought it in 1996 :-).

A-a-h, still dreaming about 5D :-)

If you don't turn it on - nothing happens.

finally worked. spent some more time tinkering after getting back from an assignment. finally took the film after it was just perfectly placed. seems kinda finicky, but i'll give it a chance. darn thing should just be happy i saved it from spending eternity in a newspapers closet.

Thanks for the advice!

I've had an A2e since 1994 (love it!) never had any problem loading film - and I'm sure I was never that particular about how far I pulled it. Maybe it's just been sitting too long unused. Once you run a couple of rolls through it, maybe you won't have anymore problems. Now, if only we could get a digital with the same performance as the A2e(sigh).

Jim