RZ 220 ProII Back problem

joseph_e._forks

One of my backs stopped working, a 220 Pro II. I think I've got the problem

isolated to the fact that the back does not recognize that I have pulled the

dark slide. I've been digging for info and thought I'd check here too (didn't

see it in searches).

What is supposed to happen inside that back when the darkslide is pulled?

Hopefully I can fix it myself.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Best

Joe

Hi, Joseph,<br>

When the darkslide is pulled in, some securites are locked (shutter release, film advance...) and some other ones are unlocked (security for removing the magazine).<p>

Most of the time, a problem on a RZ is not a mechanical failure, but a security which has been unintentionally locked.<br>

What I dislike on the RZ is that there are far too many pins and levers, too many safety controls and lockings. Thus, often, when a problem occurs, many crossed-checks have to be performed before finding the cause of the problem.<p>

First, I don't clearly understand what you mean exactly by "stopped working". Could you please explain it.<p>

You have several points to check :<br>

1) Do you have some warning messages from the red or orange LEDs in the viewfinder ?<br>

2) The magazine cannot be removed with the darkslide in place,<br>

3) Or on the contrary, the magazine can be removed without the darkslide in place,<br>

4) The shutter can be fired with the darkslide in place,<br>

5) The film cannot be advanced to the next frame,<br>

6) The darkslide can be removed from the magazine when the magazine is detached from the camera.<br>

7) Did the problem happened after mounting the magazine on the camera, after revolving the magazine, or after a multiple exposition ?<p>

- Check if the darkslide is not damaged. (Rather unlikely)<br>

- Check the darkslide release pin on the magazine. The magazine removed, the inside part of the magazine facing you, this pin is at 11 o'clock, under the rotating ring. Look what happens to this pin while inserting and removing the darkslide.(Maybe number one)<br>

- Check an eventual override of the magazine's automatic lock. (The lock release lever has been pulled toward the holder lock lever - both under the magazine).<br>

- Check the position of the R/M lever (central position, not "R" or "M"), the lock release lever and the holder lock lever. <br>

- Check also if ALL other levers are in their "normal" position.<p>

It is maybe a coupling gear which doesn't mesh correctly.<p>

If you can identify and describe with accuracy what happened and when it happened (after which operation), a solution could be easier to find.<br>

Please, tell us more about that.<br>

Regards<br>

Jean-Louis<br>

Thanks for taking the time to run through that. I'll will go through the list today and report back with my findings.

But before I do, I can tell you these things:

1) It's Pro II Body and Pro II 220 Back

2) Camera operates normally with other backs

3) By stopped working I mean a) shutter will not release b) red light illuminated in viewfinder with darkslide removed c) film IS advanced to frame #1

4) as far as I know it happened between rolls of film but I do not recall the last time I used this particular back.

Thanks again, I will run through that list this afternoon and report back my findings. In particular I believe it will relate to one of the following, but we'll see

quote:

- Check the darkslide release pin on the magazine. The magazine removed, the inside part of the magazine facing you, this pin is at 11 o'clock, under the rotating ring. Look what happens to this pin while inserting and removing the darkslide.(Maybe number one)

- Check an eventual override of the magazine's automatic lock. (The lock release lever has been pulled toward the holder lock lever - both under the magazine).

unquote

Best

Joe