Photographers and pain�.

Pain includes a certain kind of anxiety, too; for example anticipation of death or the state of being dead. Note the profound ambiguity of the statement: it reflects the great difference in human beliefs. Belief is an article of faith.

Some societies are immersed in such anxiety and produce works to celebrate it. Celebration is not necessarily of joy. More ambiguity, perhaps pain.

Duende!

Another term I found useful as a middle-aged person was from Alan Watts "The Wisdom of Insecurity". As I grow older, I realize more of the wisdom. No elitism implied, for wisdom is always humbling. The older I become, the less impressed I am with photography as it evinces ordinary emotions.

And there is also the pain of physical issues. What of photographers who make pictures working through pain? Eugene Smith was practically blind in his last working days at Minnemata(sp). I know a photographer and artist who has a serious tremor. Sometimes it is extraordinarily difficult to even set up a camera. Everything except agitating film or paper is difficult.

"Thomas, glad to see you're back and feeling better."

Janet, thank-you for your well wishes:) Sadly I don't consider myself back, just yet. My health improves as in the beginning I could only walk a quarter mile, now I'm doing 5k non-stop but the time still isn't available to monitor and thoughtfully respond to multiple threads as I was inclined to do in the past.

Pain is something I grew up with and had to explore in order to become at peace with. I raised my son to confront pain and deal with the root cause, egocentricity. He's big, he's strong, he's confrontational yet nobody is going to consider him insensitive.

I watch the world agonize with their angst over pain but see an unwillingness to confront root causes, unless convenient or self-serving. I see many photographs of pain's net result due to egocentric behavior but I don't see a willingness to take the kick butt confrontational attitude that's necessary to take the pain mongers on; contemporary images of Darfur and Somalia come to mind.

Guatemala? Let's see photographs of the corrupt egocentric government which encourages the conditions which make folks who have the means, flee. These are images I'd like to see. Images which don't expolit the masses. Iages which deal with the cause directly; corruption.

--------------------------------

"...or W. Eugene Smith's pictures of the Minimata victims..."

Yes, you're correct, I write maybe too much in generalities as there are exceptions to my comments but I see tender love and devotion in the "Minamata series as opposed to pain and suffering.

"And now the rest of the story."

http://www.american.edu/TED/MINAMATA.HTM

http://www.mercurypolicy.org/new/documents/MinamataVictimsReceiveFinancialAid040805.pdf

http://www.masters-of-photography.com/S/smith/smith_minamata_full.html

----------------------------------

I see much of the images of pain are done so for emotionally exploitive purposes as opposed to purposes which are intended to confront the genesis of the pain.

Shall we seek the pain or the solution: understanding and correcting the underling causes?

>>>Guatemala? Let's see photographs of the corrupt egocentric government which

encourages the conditions which make folks who have the means, flee. These are images I'd

like to see. Images which don't expolit the masses. Iages which deal with the cause directly;

corruption.<<<

I wasn't there to do anything like that. I was there to document a mission trip. I'd love the

opportunity to do more and to travel more. It just whetted my appetite. (Whetted...is that a

word?)

"As you say, though, it's only good sense to reduce your speed when you see a flashing light or other hazard, lest you end up as a statistic yourself."

The initial reaction to the flashing lights may be to slow down - since this is something we are trained to do as drivers, but when up to the scene of the accident rubbernecking takes over in a big way. In fact I heard that the incidence of slow-speed rear end collisions increases because people are straining to see what is going on and not watching the road. It's human nature. Some people also chase ambulances and fire trucks because of the exhiliration of seeing a big crash or fire.

I remember Thomas. You got a strong message from your doc that your serum cholesterol was elevated and you were overweight and headed for a coronary. And you decided on a lifestyle change rather than die. Glad to know that you feel better. At the time I suggested one may also try (and this habit is truly hardwired and a sensitive pain response) is to, sort of, ration one's indignation. Relationship to the forum: I have noticed a keen sensitivity on the part of a few posters to be affronted. And I have to wonder if their BP would be better off with a a sabbatical? Any thoughts?

Hi Andy.

"I can't remember what the health problem is that you are suffering from."

Stupidity:) But the good news I'm told, it's not terminal. LOL

That being said, either veneous stasis (failed calf vein valves) or congestive heart failure (Too many steaks with butter on top.) Maybe both.

When I started this remake, I could only walk a quarter mile without hurting as I suffered from conpartment syndrom (shin splints) and it took me twenty-two minutes to walk a mile as I could only jog three houses befor my heart rate would max out. Now I can jog non-stop 5k as I work on rebuilding my cardio. The goal is a twenty-six minute 5k. I'm currently doing 5k in just under thirty-six minutes.

Thanks for your positive thoughts.

----------------------------------

Hi Gerry.

"You got a strong message from your doc..."

Never went to a doc, paid for all the tests myself at a wellness clinic, chiropractic services to get things back in line and purchased online vitamins and amino acids to get things nutritionally right again:(

"And you decided on a lifestyle change rather than die."

Yes, live or die, make a choice. I'm even black and white in real life:)

"Glad to know that you feel better."

Thanks!

"At the time I suggested one may also try (and this habit is truly hardwired and a sensitive pain response) is to, sort of, ration one's indignation."

Not very good at rationing but it's sure good advice.

"Relationship to the forum: I have noticed a keen sensitivity on the part of a few posters to be affronted. And I have to wonder if their BP would be better off with a a sabbatical? Any thoughts?"

Work's for me.

I'm not exactly what one might call humble but a sabbatical sure is helpful in humbling one's self as it doesn't hurt to look backwards every now-and-again and you can't look backwards if you don't take time to use the rearview mirror.

Thanks for your thoughts.

You guys have been great with all your support.

--------------------------------

I feel pain needs to be confronted, not just talked about or photographed. To me, the root cause of pain needs to be photographed, not the affects of pain.

Exploitation of pain, to me, is morally wrong. Photographically confront the cause not the affect.

I agree with you wholeheartedly, Thomas, that "Exploitation of pain .. is morally wrong" and you're quite right that one should confront the causes. Isn't this, however, what many photographers attempt to do? For example, Picture Post's photographs, which documented poverty in pre-war Britain, were a major catalyst in the process of creating the British Welfare State. As a result, millions of people live longer, healthier and happier lives than their grandparents could ever have dreamt of.

"A more important question can't be asked every time you think about releasing the shutter."

Mature, responsible adults ask this question of themselves many times through out the day so there's no reason the same can't be applied to photographic behavior unless one is just looking for an excuse to unfetter their behavior.