D 200 viewfinder :is this just marketing hype ?

All I know and all I really care about is if you look through the D200 viewfinder and the D70

viewfinder, I think you will easily see that the D200 is clearer, larger and better, no question.

It also gives a more accurate rendition of what the framed photo will be than the D70, the

D50 and the Rebel. Theoretically talking about the numbers is fine, but the only thing that

matters is what you see when you put your eye to it and how it compares with the photo

achieved.

• 6 months later...

This is indeed a tiresome and divided subject, and all the measurements alone do not add

up to the most important factor for me: How does the viewfinder of any camera change

the joy of photography and the quality of my images? Not much. But what it does affect is

the ease in which I adapt to changing light, fill the frame in Macro or tightly-composed

images, and the apparent brightness of my lenses under difficult conditions. For those of

us with aging eyes, the newer bright viewfinders on sub-full-frame DSLRs are truly an

advancement and often better than our old trusty film camera were in many cases. I went

from a Nikon N90s and F5 to a Nikon D100 and D1X, and i was surprised by how much

easier it was to work with the DSLRs in changing light? ? which in turn sped up my

photography and increased my enjoyment and the quality of my work.

<p>

Then, I recently (and with MUCH deliberation and introspection) moved to a Canon 5D,

specifically because I needed the lowest noise in low light, felt I missed the FF viewfinder

attributes and also wanted to work with my fast prime wides that were then unmatch in

APS format cameras. Again, the FF finder is way brighter, and has also made the

experience of photography more enjoyable for me. I proved out my hopes with the lower

noise in my images, but i am not convinced that I proved out my other expectations. Was

it worth the extra weight, loss of those handy pop-up flashes, and way more money? THat

is the rub that must be factored in. i do LOVE the 5D for many reasons, but rarely

recommend the 5D (or higher) cameras to first-time DSLR buyers and students, because

the difference in costs, all told, can buy lots of other things. FF cameras often require

heavier lenses, so it all adds up on you shoulders at the end of the day, believe me. You

MUST hold the choices side-by-side and FEEL the differences before buying, not just read

about them. If I had a D200 or D2xs, I'd probably be quite happy, and make the same

exposures. <p>http://www.davidjulian.com