Happy Anniversary EOS

douglas_vitello

Hard to believe it has been 20 years (Feb 1987) since the first EOS film body

(650)was released.Still own a EOS 650,620, and numerous 630s (1989 - my

absolute favorite EOS body).I never thought this equipment would be as

reliable as my FD stuff because of all the new technology but boy was I ever

wrong.All of them are still going strong with CLAs every five years - great

cameras.

I've got the 1,497th Canon F-1 made from February 1971. It still takes great pictures and I've never had a cla or anything else done to it. Inspite of its age it still looks perfect, flawless & brand~new. 13 years ago I bought it from the retired military officer that bought it new in Japan.

Your Camera's Daddy wishes you and yours a Happy Birthday.

Lindy

My first EOS was a 10s bought new in 1991. I've since had a 3 and a 7n plus a D30. I owned one or two of the A series bodies and I have a huge Canonflex collection from 1959 to 1964. Everything still works except the selenium cell meters. The needles still respond to light but the are no longer accurate.

If they've been taking lessons from Leica maybe we can expect to see a gold plated EOS 1Ds Mk II in a velvet lined walnut presentation box with a "20th Anniversary" engraving and a certificate of authenticity...

Actually I seem to remember they did make a 10th anniversary edition of something. Maybe the EOS 10s? Maybe a lens (35-135)? My memory on that one is a bit fuzzy.

Bob, it's more likely to be a classic such as D60 with Hammertone finish and CHSA (Canon Historical Society of America) engraving. Also look for special Chrome version of L lenses to go with such a magnificent body.

And when that happens, this forum might also turn feisty.

Lindy,My EOS 600 series equipment appreciates the kind thoughts from gramps F1!My oldest bodies are a AT-1 (1977) and a F1N (1981)that get used constantly,they keep me from getting "program" lazy - something that comes natural with the effortless EOS bodies.Nonetheless,still love those EOS 630s even though I can't use them to pound nails like the F1N.

Yep, those old 600 series bodies were made amazingly well. Almost like a 1-series save the

sealing. I had a 630 but mainly used it in MF mode. AF was really iffy. However Canon

actually made a fine screen for MF. A year later I bought an EOS 10S. The AF in that body was

a major breakthrough as it rarely missed. Unfortunately not nearly as well made as the 630.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

My EOS series equipment also appreciates the kind thoughts from gramps F1 - However - Grampa's cousin (Ftb-QL) says hello as well ! I recently traded in my FD equipment (I wasn't using it-moment of silence please . . . ) for a Canon Digital Body. My oldest body is now the Ftb-QL and a TX (Inoperative) that I keep for sentimental reasons. I too love some of the earlier EOS bodies (like the 700 with it's reversible control button (One side is full manual - the other side is the 'Control mode buttons" we know and love today. I especially like the auto up/down flash capability on the 700.

Happy birthday EOS!