It really does depend on what you want to do and the only way is to evaluate them both yourself. So I'd hold out till Lightroom comes along. In the meatime you can trial version CS2. Maybe you should try Elements 4. Is there something Elements 2 can't do for you?

Lightroom is still in beta at this time and currently only available for the Mac platform. In addition, Lightroom isn't being positioned as a substitute for Photoshop, so it basically boils down to which type of program you need. You should probably do some more research on both products to clarify their strengths and weaknesses and see which program will work best for you. I also advise you try some of the cheaper or free alternatives to Photoshop before buying anything. You might find something that meets your needs for a much cheaper price.

"Can you buy the new PS with out all the other crap in CS2 ?"

Ross Murphy

If Adobe's interface hasn't become the definition of intuitive for you, you should consider Picture Window Pro, which has a complete 16bit workflow, is designed specifically for photographers, is without the tools needed by graphics designers -- the "crap" in PS, and has a price point around that of Elements. Latest version also has a raw converter. It works for me.

If you buy it, keep Elements around, though, for peace of mind; the learning curve is a bit steep due mostly to the unique interface.

If its good enough for Norman Koren, its good enough for me.

Free download for evaluation at the Digital Light and Color website.

Lightroom will not, nor is intended to replace Photoshop. Lightroom is essentially a program

to "develop" RAW digital negatives to a point at which they are usable in Photoshop CS2. It

allows relatively simplistic curve manipulation and capture sharpening. It doesn't provide

layer based processing, or masks, or a whole host of other things that Photoshop does. On

the other hand if all you want is to print some completely straight prints from digital

negatives, it might do the trick.