Successor to 350D?

pavolk

Now we have the 30D, when will Canon replace its cheaper relative? I

want to buy my first DSLR in the next few months but the 30D is still

a bit too expensive for me (though I'm tempted). I fancy the 350D but

don't want them to announce the following week that it's obsolete...

<p>Paul,

</p>

<p>Simple, to me. <i>How many lenses do you own, and why?</i>

</p>

<p>If you know why I would ask that question, then buy the 30D. Otherwise, the 350D is

probably going to suit your needs, notwithstanding your being tempted with the 'cool.'

</p>

<p>Here's my reasoning and practice for my advice.

</p>

<p>I always buy the most I can, and hold on to it for a while, preferebly skipping a

generation

or two in the process. I waited to 'go digital' until the 20D. I'm glad I skipped the 10D,

and glad I didn't buy the digital rebel - lower priced alternative, and still don't need the

1DsMkII. The 20D has the speed and control, plus build quality, to give me room to

maneuver, both artistically and physically. It'll last long enough until I have the bucks to

replace it, hopefully not for many years. Although the 30D is cool, I really have no interest

in it, because my 20D is more than satisfactory for me for a good while.

</p>

<p>

Avoid getting caught up in the 'gotta have the latest,' sort of cycle will guarantee that you

remain broke, and fail to gain experience with the tools that you have. I almost never buy

the highest-end of anything, unless it is the only thing that does what I absolutely know I

need to do, which is almost never. You pay dearly for the bleeding edge, and it is rarely

worth it. (Sometimes, for a few, yes.)

</p>

<p>

Good luck,

</p>

<p>-Alan</p>

Paul. its an excertise in futility waiting around for the next thing.

The fact is you don't have a DSLR right now, and you are probably missing some interesting photographic opportunities right now.

You can spend the next decade not taking photos waiting for the next best thing.. or you can go out now... get yourself an "old world" DSLR that'll still produce decent prints (even as large as 13x19" if you are very careful, and use a good lens).

Forget about waiting for the next camera unless you know for a fact that there is a particular feature or shortcoming that requires you to wait for a specific model that you KNOW is about to come out.

Digital cameras Are NOT computers... faster computers keep coming out to compensate for slower and bigger programs that are developed.

Digital cameras people purchased 4 years ago are still producing wonderful prints that are 8x10 (my 300D rebel has given me quite a few sharp looking 12x18 sized prints!).

If its between the 350D and the 20d/30d.. that's easy. Is the slightly higher build quality and better buffer/speed of the 20d worth the extra 500bucks? Can you even afford it? If not.. the 350D is practically the same camera.. and a wonderful alternative.

Now go buy it.. and stop wondering what's going to come out next month, next year, next decade.

Now that the new 30D is only a small improvement over the 20D, there is little room for improvement of the 350D from a marketing point of view. They definitely will not rival their 30D with a low cost model which would outperform the 30D.

Therefore, within the next 12 months it is unlikely to see a successor of the 350D which would introduce major improvements.

I've been using the same Olympus for six years. So when I heard of an upcoming Canon

model, I figured what is a few more months to wait? But I won't be waiting any longer. Times

have changed so remarkably over that time period, it is stupefying. I imagine my new Canon

will serve me for another six years and beyond. Get what you like and can afford now and

don't worry about the next thing. More than likely it will be incremental. Enjoy shooting.

Thanks for your terrific advice, everyone.

I deliberately used "obsolete" to be provocative. I'm sure whatever I buy will satisfy me for at least a couple of years - I'm still using a 3-year old obsolete G5 as my only digital camera and am far from unhappy with it. Any new DSLR will surely feel light years ahead of that.

So I think I'll go for the 350D now (I have small hands!) and wait until a sub-1000-British-pounds full-frame DSLR comes along before dipping in the market again.

Lenses I have: 17-40L, 28-135 IS, Sigma 105 macro. How will these perform, and what do you suggest for a general-purpose alternative to cover the wide-to-medium-telephoto range?

Thanks again,

Paul

Your current lenses seem very good. unforunately the most comon media/telephoto range is the 70-200 zoom lens (either 2.8 from sigma/canon or f4 from canon) all of which are GREAT lenses.

You'll probably find if you get the zoom above... between the 17-40 and the 70-200 you'll barely touch your 28-135 IS, so you may wish to consider selling it, and spend the extra money on a 70-200 2.8 IS if you're rich enough :)

Your 100mm macro is a specialty lens... keep it

if you ever need something longer than 200... the f2.8 telephoto zooms work very well with the canon 1.4x teleconverters.