Braun Paxette standard lenses: Staeble-Kata, Staeble-Katagon, Cassarit

I've been on a Braun Paxette kick lately. I'm wondering whether anyone out

there can tell me anything about the differences between the Staeble-Kata

2.8/45, the Staeble-Katagon 2.8/50 and the Cassarit 2.8/45 or 50. These are

all lenses that were either fixed or interchangeable on Braun Paxette

rangefinders in the late 1950s to early 1960s. They all look very similar, as

I recall, and I'm guessing that they all are Tessar-type. Does one stand out?

Dan'l, per the VM the Kata seems to be a triplet and so does the Cassarit. It says that on Paxettes the Cassarit was a better more expensive alterative to the Kata. Doesn't say much about the Katagon.

May not be relevant, but I used to have a 60/4.5 Novoflex Staeble-Katagon, have seen a 60/4 that seemed identical to mine except for the engraved numbers. Tessar type. That one was in barrel, was intended to be used on bellows as a macro lens. That I don't have it tells you that I didn't rate it high.

Please tell us which shoots best for you. Also please count reflections and tell us what you saw. The VM isn't always right.

Cheers,

Dan

Dan'l, an air-glass-air interface gives a strong reflection. A glass-cement-glass interface gives a weak one. And weak reflections can be hard to see.

But counting reflections lets one tell whether a lens is a tessar or a triplet. Both have four strong reflections in front of the diaphragm. The triplet has two strong, no weak, behind the diaphragm; the tessar has two strong, one weak.

And so on.

The web page about the reflection counting trick seems to be gone, but it can be accessed in <b><a href="http://web.archive.org/web/20041011050030/http://idccdata.members.easyspace.com/ReflectionTest/reflection.htm" target="_NEW">the archive</a></b>.

<p>

The Staeble-Kata is definitively a very poor three-element lens. It's exceptionally flare-prone, very "soft" (a.k.a. unsharp) and has poor contrast. The pic below was taken at f/4 with a hood on the lens.<div>00GuGs-30532484.jpg.73d3b18e6a7b5dbc68322f112e9d5025.jpg</div>

All these lenses were triplets of limited performance. There was also a Zeiss Tessar and a Schneider Xenar available in Paxette mount. Strange enough the Xenars are traded for less than the Tessars although they seem to be more rare.

However even with the Xenar I could not get results on the same level with other cameras. Almost all slides had low contrast, quite different to those I shot with Xenars on the Akarelle and the Kodak Retina.

• 1 year later...