Which software for album design?

john_murphy1

We design with Photoshop. For a while, we used Yervant's Page Gallery software 'on top of' PS but, for most album design projects now, we use PS by itself.

The flow from that point depends on whose album we're using...and whether they accept prints (Art Leather, Leather Craftsmen, White Glove, etc.) or they only accept designs (Graphi Studio, AsukaBook, etc.)

We always do the design and prefer to do the printing ourselves and then send them in to be bound by the album company.

• 1 year later...

I use Adobe InDesign....

At this point I have a self-made stable of hundreds of page layouts and can design them

relatively fast - say 4 hours for 60 pages. If only I can four hours uniterupted!

To make a template file - save a document as an InDesign Library file - and then open the

library window....voila all the page elements you want are saved as individual library items.

In my view the biggest advantage to inDesign is that the whole album is stored in a file

less than or about 100mb. So you're not storing layered photoshop files to accomodate

your album. Another big advantage is that you can work from page to page and build

your narrative and graphic relationships from page to page in the same document whereas

photoshop requires a document for each page.