Rate Changes

j_sew

What do members think about expanding the rating system to include

ratings for print quality, composition, subject matter. There are

photographs that obviously can be improved by simply some technical

changes. There is nothing wrong with the current ratings system, but

it would be nice to add on a button or two for the other items.

That might be true John. I just thought that the two areas of rating were rather general. Being schooled and having a degree in photography, I used to a much more articulate rating system.

The ratings aren't meant to help you understand what people think of a photo, that's what critiques are for. This site uses ratings primarily to try and promote photos that will crowd please, which means more revenue to help operate the site.

There is surely nothing wrong with the current rating system. This system is rated by all levels of photographers, from novice to working professional. In other photographic associations, like the Professioal Photographers of America or Professional Photographers of Canada and their various affliliates, there is a structure of judging that they adhere to. I guess the question really is, can the system be adjusted to provide a greater feedback for improving the work of a fellow PN member? I recognize the selling point of having the top rate photographs, but as a community we should encourage the growth of each member. In looking at some of the work, I think there are many photographers that show great potential, and sometimes it's just that little nudge that will make a photograph better. Perhaps, photos should be rated by the top people in PN. Anyway, just some suggestion on how to make a great thing ....greater!

I'm a newcomer to this site and I haven't rated anyone yet - for a couple of reasons, The first is that I don't have enough knowledge or experience to pass that kind of judgement on peoples' work and secondly the guidelines for rating that I've read here don't help me.

It's suggested that most ratings should be 3/3 with fewer ratings as you go both higher and lower.

This I think assumes that you're going to rate every image that you see. For someone like me, much of the stuff I see here (relative to my powers of observation, appreciation and execution) is fantastic and I'd not hesitate to give 7/7s all over the place. There are some which even I can tell are not nearly so good but I wouldn't dream of giving someone a poor rating because I simply don't have the consistent powers of judgement to make a worthy assessment.

As I said earlier, the only fair way, in my opinion (even for experienced and competent photographers) to be consistent is to rate every image they see using the same criteria each time.

Either the power to rate others should be given only to accomplished exponents of the art, or the ratings that people receive should be "taken with a pinch of salt."

Rather than expand the criteria of the existing rating system I reckon reduce them. Get rid of the originality rating and just have a 1 to 10 rating. One to ten is a universally applied rating system which we all understand. I think such a system would work well. I find the originality judgement a hindrance rather than a help.

The digital age has made it easy to produce an image. Print Quality is based on tonal range, good blacks/clean whites and a good range of tones as it applies to each image. Quite often I see images that are rather gray. But then it is in the eye of beholder isn't it.

The one thing that I would like to see is a forced comment if you want to rate 3/3. I don't have any problem getting a 3/3 but I would like to get feedback on how to make a photo better if one feels that way. The ratings don't mean too much to me, it is just a way to get seen and then hopefully get some criticism.

I wonder how many people would take the time to put htought into an expanded system. It seems like more often than not, there isn't a lot of time spent on it as it is.

cheers

Peter