Medium Format camer for active use:

brandon lemoine

Thanks for your time and feedback...

I'm interested in getting a medium format camera (Mamiya 645-AFD II) for sports and

landscape type photography. I will be hanging from a rope so I have concerns related to the

operation of the camera back, speeds of focus, film advancing speeds and general operation.

I have never used a medium format camera so please relate your comparison to the D2X or

F5 SLR cameras.

What are your recommendations for such a situation or use?

The rangefinder MF cameras are alright, but if you're not used to the finder focusing, it could be a bit difficult while hanging from a rope. The main thing to consider is to make sure you have a modern camera with a 220 back.

The 645 will give you a decent sized image and the most amount of shots per roll as well. I think the 645 afd would be a great choice as you can also think about a digital back down the line or for rent. I love using the afd, and it would be comparable in operation to a 35mm film or digital. Plus the af would free up a hand.

Sorry to be a twinky, but why are you bothering with 6x4.5 format if you have access to a D2X? A 6x4.5 negative isn't going to give you much over a 12mp file from the D2X, and if you really want the extra bit of resolution and wide angles, a used Kodak SLR/n or 14nx goes for about $1800 these days. Not bad for 14mp and full frame.

Why use medium format when 12mp digital is available ?

Because film has comprehensive characteristics straight out of the processing tank...because film has dynamic range...because slides are perfect proof images straight out of the processing tank...because negatives have the option of optical C printing or digital C printing but optical C printing equipment is home affordable while digital C printing must be outsourced...

Also, multi-pass scanning has advantage over directly shot digital...

What focal lengths do you need? A nice rangefinder could make sense if you don't mind limited lens choices. They are smaller and lighter than MF SLR's. I use a Bronica Rf645 for my travel-about camera. But only two lenses are readily available - 45mm and 65mm. I have a 100mm, too, but they are hard to find.

just curious what the shoot is... rock climbing? canyoneering?

there's a National Geographic TV special called "The Photographers." One of the stories in there is about one of their guys photographing an archaelogical site high on a jungle cliff in South America. His winning shot was taken on rappel - he pushed out away from the cliff as hard as possible, and autofocused during the pendulum swing to get a wide angle shot taking in the site, the cliff, the ground. exciting stuff.