Hitech filter adapters (or Lee) (or Cokin, for that matter)

thewaker43

Hey folks,

I have a Hitech 100 filter system. And was thinking of purchasing a

few new lenses. With this system you purchase adapter rings to fit

each lens. The adapters are around $40 US each. Step Up/Down rings

can be found for $5 at any local photo lab. It seems like I shoud

just buy the largest Hitech adapter ring that I have a lens and then

purchase step down rings for each smaller one. This would save

quite a bit of money. Is this the case? I mean it seems so

obvious, are there problems with my idea?

This all sounds sensible. You could go one step further and keep the step-up rings attached to each lens at all times and buy a few extra lens caps (of the largest size). If you were using filters all the time then this would overcome the time penalty of having to attach the step-up rings to the filter system.

OK, Casey, what I'm about to describe to you may be confusing, but I'll do my best to describe my solution to this problem. Bear with me. I've got 3 LF lenses mounted in 171mm Arca-Swiss lensboards. The largest lens is a 90mm SA XL, which is huge, requiring me to use the 100mm Hitech filters. What I've done is to drill-and-tap and screw four hex-head bolts into the four corners of my lensboards, so that the flat heads of the bolts stick out from the lensboard such that they are about a 1/16" proud of the end of the lens. On the back side of the lensboard, I screwed a nut onto the end of the bolt to snug the bolt to the lensboard. (And painted the nuts and bolt-ends black) I then super-glued 4 small (1/4" diameter) super-strong earth magnets to the four corners of the Hitech filters. The bolts were positioned about 90mm apart from each other, so the way the system works is that I can simply pop any filter on to any lens in about 2 seconds, and they pop off in 2 seconds too. No adapter rings to screw or or off, or lose for that matter. Total costs: about $2 per lensboard and maybe $4-8 per filter. Yes, the bolts add weight to my kit, but it's a big kit anyway, and I roll it around in a plastic tool box.