Second guessing

jaimie blue

Had to get a wide angle today, under $500. Was excited to check out

the Tamron 17-70 2.8 or is it 17-50 2.8 the newer lense? Anyway, no

one had one and I needed a wide for a shoot tomorrow. I ended up with

a Sigma 17-70 2.8, 4...Now I am second guessing myself. I am wondering

if anyone uses either of these, and any and all opinions regarding

either lense.

Can't help on those Jamie but you may be interested to know the Canon 17-55 f2.8 IS USM wide angle just got released a few hours ago; at least that's when I was notified and subsequently ordered it about an hour ago from B&H.

Great reviews on the new canon wide angle for my Canon 20D so we'll see how it preforms very soon ... I expect it in a few days.

Thanks Kari, I will check it out, already have it in my head I will like the Tamron better. My old wide lenses pre digital do not work for a crop camera and currently don't want primes. I like to keep it to a couple of lenses and am trying to find the best fit for my working weddings style.

don't worry so much about it now. You did the right thing in order to cover the gap. You know as well as I that stopping down a bit will ensure adequate capture.

how great is great? most all lenses today are fairly decent considering they're computer designed. You're good to go IMHO.

I had the 17-35 Tamron as a backup lens and it was superb for the $$.

I also have had sigmas and thought they (with the exception of the 105 macro) were not as good. YMMV.

I find it will vary with any off brand lens as to the quality of that particular lens. Having said that, Canon and Nikon have lenses that are better than others too.

Best, d.

However I would like to have the 2.8 at the telephoto end better then the wide. If I am going to shoot wide angle then I probably want more depth of field and the 2.8 is not really important, but it is at the telephoto end. Anyway, live and learn, hopefully.

Nikon d70s and Nikon d200. I am also teaching this kid photography long story and in tandem bought a Cannon 30d and about to get the Cannon 5d, so for those outfits we can try the tamron 2.8. In the end the Nikon will be the cameras I own solo.