Using a non dx lens on a Nikon D-70

CharlesBecker-Toronto

Well, it also depends much on the focal length of the lens. With many telephoto lenses you gain in that you are using what is generally the best, center of the optics which leaves most of the undesirable edge effects out of the image. As mentioned, vignetting and corner softness are less of an issue.

However, with wider focal lengths, you may see more chromatic aberration and perhaps some subtle color shift with non-DX lenses than you would see with same lens on film. DX lenses are not just optimized for smaller sensors, they are also optimized for digital.

Joe, intuitively I think that the improvement in image quality would be greater in the wide angle lenses. I would like to hear others opinion on this. Also, I do not understand why chromatic aberation would be worse using film lenses designed that are designed to cover full 35mm negative area with good resolution and contrast.

It would seem to me, particularly since the digital sensor *sees* only the central part of the image, that the full frame (film type) lenses would outperform the new digital designs where full coverage for the lens is designed for the smaller area of the CCD sensors.

I have been using my old film lenses, particularly wide to telephoto, on a D100 and D50 with excellent results. Even some of my *inexpensive* Nikkors are producing excellent results with great contrast, crisp images, and without any noticeable abberation... even when examined at extreme magnification in PS7.

Will,

The way I understand it is that one of the reasons wider angle lenses "may" result in more aberration on digital, is due to the difference in how light strikes the surfaces of film and a digital sensors. With digital, the surface of the sensor is not as flat/smooth as film. Each photo site is a small object but not as small as a grains on film. In fact, you might want think of these photo sites as little buckets with the light sensitive portion at the bottom. The result "can" be that some light is blocked or partially blocked by a neighboring photo site or the primary photo site wall before it reaches the sensitive part of the receptor. The result can be falloff and aberration. DX (and some non DX) lenses take this into consideration and attempt to control the light so that it is traveling more perpendicular to the sensor surface. With film, this was less of an issue and was not as big a consideration when designing lenses for film. The longer the focal length, the less of an issue this is.