SLR Pentax ME

eyadnalsamman

The 55mm lens is a good one and useful for general outdoor photography and certain types of portraits (e.g. 1/2 or 3/4 length) etc. I don't know the quality of the Soligor but 28mm is a moderate wide angle and good for landscapes. The 55mm will be capable of good macro results if used with extension tubes and those are widely available in the relevant Pentax K mount fit and cheap.

For other lenses, including telephoto you're in luck because the manual focus Pentax-K mount which the ME-Super uses was (and still is) very popular and there are lots of excellent cheap lenses available used. For portraits I'd recommend something like a 105mm or 135mm F2.8 or F2.5. There are plenty of 3rd party lenses available but the SMC coated Pentax ones are very good.

Hi Eyad.

Stephan very nicely answered the first part of your question. I will only add to the second that the ME can use ANY film K-mount lens. In Pentax lingo that's K, M, A, F, FA. IMHO K,M, and A lenses are normally more enjoyable than F or FA but that's purely a personal taste issue NOT a compatability issue.

You should get good photos. The 50mm f1.8 is agreat lens. I thing Soligors are underrated. You can add a 135mm lens and, if you do, pick up a Pentax-M 135mm f/3.5, which was made for the M-series. Yes, it's a stop slower, but with today's fast, sharp films, so what? You'll have a neat, compact package for street work. It's a bit long for portrait work, but it will do that too.

• 2 weeks later...

<p style="border: groove">For portraits I'd recommend something like a 105mm or

135mm F2.8 or F2.5.

<P>I'd be wary of the 135/2.8. There two versions from Pentax. If you do find one, be

sure it says Pentax SMC and <b>not</b> Pentax <em>Takumar</em>. I recently

purchased the 135/2.5 and I love this lens!

The ME series is wonderful, and, owning an ME Super myself, I can attest that, when used properly, you can create some incredible images with it.

Like mentioned above, the Pentax SMC (Super Multi Coated) lenses are the most desirable, and can be had for reasonable amounts. Soligor lenses I've found aren't the highest quality, but aren't as crappy as many alternative brands avaible today (Opteka, etc). The Soligor 80-200mm zoom lens I have has reasonably fine glass considering how inexpensive it was, and I imagine that holds true for the 28mm too.

If you're interested in trying out lenses (just to see what they're like) you might try the local pawn shops. Often times you can get a pretty good lens cheap, and you can try it out beforehand (as opposed to eBay or online retail).

• 5 months later...
I have heard, on a couple occasions, recommedations against Takumar lenses. I have also heard people speak fondly of "my old Takumars" and how they are still nice and sharp on today's digital SLRs. I own one Takumar, the 135mm f 2.5, and have several absolutely perfect images taken with it and my *ist DL. So what's the real poop on Takumars - mostly junk? Did I just get a good one? Here's an example of a great shot with my Takumar :<div>00Hez2-31763084.jpg.dd8969de1521a87bec6fb0d9ef9ca8e6.jpg</div>