What lenses did DAH use?

jonten 10

Hi

Is this a generation gap problem? For as long as I have been lurking mostly here, I always knew DAH meant David Alan Harvey, e quinessential Leica M "God" who breaks tradition by using Velvia 50 and LOTS of flash with his cheap Vivitar...... Producing ground breaking work on e spanish diaspora with only Leica 28 f2.8, 35 f1.4, 50f1.4, all older Leica variants, no asph watsoever.

Until 2005 that is :) Now he has gone digital as well.... Check out e latest article on him - he now shoots with a nikkor 20 f2.8 on a d70 body with nikon strobes (approximating a 28mm fov). And considering a d200...

http://www.nikonnet.com/dyn/articles/article_detail/208.html

Oh the gearhead! :)

DAH is one of my greatest inspiration as a photog - I love his work whether film or digital!!!

<p>DAH: <em>I use the same lens I used when I was shooting film, the 20mm f/2.8D AF Nikkor. It's small and perfect for my style of working in close to people.</em></p><p>Jeez, I know I'm old, but I hope I don't sound too fuddy-duddy when I wonder why anyone needs autofocus for 20mm.</p><p>And then I reread:</p><p>DAH: <em>I can take pictures with the camera in my right hand and a cold beer in my left.</em></p><p>I'd never thought of it that way before, but now I realize: <strong>Autofocus: For beer-drinking photography.</strong> Sign me up!</p>

>>DAH: I can take pictures with the camera in my right hand and a cold beer in my left.

He sometimes uses the glass of beer as a warming gel over his strobe for indoor shots. True! I saw him teach this trick to one of our undergraduate students during a dinner before his presentation at Ohio University a couple of years back.

He's a character!

Bill Schneider

I guessed who DAH was, but wasn't entirely sure. I must have seen it here before. Its vital to study masters, and expose yourself to all styles. I just don't think any one man or woman should be so highly revered. Its kind of gross. Reminds me of conceited architecture professors who use "Meis", and "Corbu" all the time, like they are in love or something...

Dave Harvey's a really nice guy. He's a friendly funny guy who makes friends and is able to

make some very nice photographs of people. In the years I've known him (since 1968) I don't

remember him ever saying a bad thing about anybody. The secret to what he does is an

ability to be in any situation and make pictures. He does this thru a warm personality and

when appropriate a big smile or laugh. He's really not into cameraq equipment. I've never

talked with him about cameras but he loves to talk about camera bags. He's always looking

for that <I>ultimate</I> camera bag. <g>

FWIW - off the nikonnet

>>>

The Basics

"Mostly I shoot with the D70," David says. "It's small, light and I've gotten excellent results. Right or wrong, I've got the feeling that if I can minimize the physical impact of the equipment, I'm better off."

As far as lenses, the story is the same: "I use the same lens I used when I was shooting film, the 20mm f/2.8D AF Nikkor. It's small and perfect for my style of working in close to people. I'll occasionally use the 50mm f/1.4D AF Nikkor." He says he's never used a zoom lensラ"I like small and inconspicuous."

The basic kit, then, is the only kit. David might be adding to it soon, though. He's got his eye on a D200ラ"still small, still light, but a bigger file size."

<<<

A few years ago I happened to be in Austin on business and had the chance to visit the LBJ

Presidential Library, that would be Lyndon Baines Johnson, and discovered that there was

an exhibition of David Douglas Duncan's work. I'm over fifty and had never heard of him

but I was enormously glad that I learned about him that day. You could argue that he is no

friend of Leica in that he was if not the first, one of the first to try and use and advocate

the use of Nikon lenses during the Korean War. I think I remember that correctly. I am over

fifty.

I will throw out the only D personality initialism that was lodged in my brain DDE

Answer: Dwight David Eisenhower

And since I am on a tangential roll, if you have not read Flags of Our Fathers by James

Bradley, about the photo of the flag raisers on Iwo Jima, go out and read it.

It's perfectly normal. There were times in my teens when I thought Dali was the best painter ever, or AA (ansel grizzly adams ;-)) was my idol. We move at different dimensions. I still don't totally salivate over The Americans but currently worship Salgado and Capa. 4 years ago it was HCB...

• 11 months later...
  • 6 months later...