Digital: Film: why you like each

travis1

I can?t state just one reason for each, to my way of thinking, the processes involved

are completely interwoven.

Digital

It's stacks of fun in a superficial sort of way.

The instant feedback has many practical advantages.

Exposure feedback via histogram. Why can't we have that on film cameras?

Advantages when speed is of the essence. Instant digital files without the need for

scanning. Doesn?t get better than that.

Film

Greater flexibility and useability in a wide range of light conditions. There?s nothing

worse looking than blow out highlights from Dslr files

The more disciplined way of working required for film. As the format gets bigger the

thought and discipline also increases.

Image quality reasons nothing betters a good silver print.

Ease and cost effectiveness of neg/slide storage and archivability.

<ul><li type="disc">I like most CN because of the humongous dynamic range.

<li type="disc">I like some CT because of pallettes -- like K64, K25, E200 Pro, even RAPF.

<li type="disc">I like most B&W because it looks good and is fun to work with.

<li type="disc">I like digital because it's dirt cheap for volume shooting and requires no scanning for digital printing.

<li type="disc">It's also nice to have the super fast turnaround of digital sometimes, especially when facing a tight deadline.

</ul>

<p>

The DMR has a really nice color rendition and compares reasonably well to CT IMO. So I don't use a lot of small-format CT anymore, unless I specifically want to use a smaller camera. That's not a big deal to me though.

digital---no wasted film on crappy shots. has a cleaner look on my CRT than my crappy scanner's images.

Film---It's fun to waste film on crappy shots. has a cleaner look when printed by the lab than my digi P&S and my film lens' have much better bokeh than the P&S digi. I might feel differently if I had a 5D with an R lens adapter though.

Digital---because I always have the p&s in my pocket to grab shots like below that are meaningless to everyone but me.

Film---because I am holding out hope that the Leica coolness factor will allot me the same kinda luck the dude had in "Eurotrip"

All kidding aside I like learning the nuances of developing my own B&W.<div>00E7AB-26397384.jpg.040bbd187f961f9f502b998647fcd67b.jpg</div>

Digital: instant gratification in all its forms -- in the field you can see the shots, you don't

need to scan and so forth.

<P>Film: It falls apart much more gracefully than digital. By that I mean when you over-

enlarge or blow out highlights or otherwise stress it, the results are not as bad as with

digital. The grain gets bigger, the picture gets muddy, you may lose detail in the shadows

or highlights, but that's about it. Color shifts are the exception here. With digital, you get

pixelation, chromatic aberration, moire, aliasing and ugly multi-colored noise. Also, there

is still a great deal of magic in making a fiber print for me -- both in the process and in

the result.

Digital: easier for "nothing" shots you wouldn't want to waste film on, or absolutely have to

have 'yesterday' (though personally I admit to disliking digital for its clinical character - its

like the difference between CD (a consumer item you feel little for) and vinyl (something to

treasure).

Film: because its just great.

Digital, the ability to share photo's of my son's soccer team with everybody on the team 12 hours after the last game, the ability to blast off 200+ shots and not have to worry about the cost (this is a biggie), on a vacation 3 years ago I spent $300 in film and developing, now I just get the good shots printed at $0.19 per 4X6.

Film the skin tones come out RIGHT, and I get full frame which is great for landscapes, not to mention everybody thinks my Leica M4-P or Hexar RF is a toy and completely ignores me.

Film:

-uses cameras and scanners I've already paid for that I can't sell for beans, and film I've already paid for that's clogging up my freezer

-can shoot slides for projection in a projector I've already paid for with quality beyond any digital projector I can afford and as good as I've seen with one that cost $200,000.

Digital: everything else.

Never shot digitally. My reasons for NOT shooting digital would fill a book but, basically, I'm a grumpy old bastard who could care less about learning how to do something differently that I already know how to do.

Film: I have three freezers jammed full of the stuff (mostly B&W).