Holga?

rocky_coleman1

No, it's not a pinhole (though some people modified theirs to be). It's a 6x45/6x6 MF camera, with a 60mm single-element plastic lens (!), a fixed aperture (apparently somewhere between f/11 and f/13, at least that's what I measured on mine), and a shutter speed around 1/100s (that's what I measured on mine). The only kind of control you have is zone focusing. You need to expect light leaks and vignetting, along with the possibility of poor film flatness.

It's a fun camera to have, though if you want some level of control while still playing with a toy and having to deal with an imperfect image quality, I'd recommend a Lubitel TLR instead.

Holgas can be a lot of fun. And really you can't go wrong for 20 bucks. There are also a host of websites out there giving instructions for modifying the Holga. On mine I made the aperture larger and disabled the shutter to do long exposures.

Use black electrical tape to cover up the light leaks from the film back and don't forget to take the lens cap off when shooting. <br>

Before you screw in your first 46mm filter, the Holga has no filter thread. After you unscrew it, it does. That should show Ken Rockwell that plastic filter threads aren't that bad after all!

Apparently the Holga factory in China is secretly working on their next version--Holga D. You've got it--a 66 megapixel 6x6 Holga, compromising none of the unique image quality. Under heavy debate are such topics as whether to afix the LCD to the back in the factory, or let users put it on with their own electical tape. Also, getting the microlenses to accept the raking light leaks from all the proper and usual directions has been an engineering nightmare. But it looks like they are close, and best of all have maintained the price point of about $15 dollars. Should be available from Freestyle soon...

How wrong you can go depends on what you expect to do with it. If you want to make "bad" pictures, you may be disappointed at the sharpness. If you want to make "good" pictures, you may be disappointed at the lack of sharpness.

One observation: Many people remove the film mask to make the camera 6x6 (older ones always came as 6x4.5, with a removable mask- newer ones can be had with a 6x6 mask). Anyway, that mask helps hold the film flat, which in turn, due to the red window, helps avoid light leaks. So two of the most common problems are due largely to intentional modifications rather than low quality itself.

If you don't do your own processing, check into price and availability of 120 film processing in your area before buying a Holga.

As others have stated, it is not in any way a pinhole camera, and it is just flat out wrong to call it that.

As another option, visit your local dollar store and look for cameras- see my portfolio for some shots with them.

I love my Holga. You can't go wrong with a $38 camera. (holgamods.com)

Check my PN photos for my Paris/London stuff. I process my own films. This give me full control.

Just 'do' it! ( I did not make that phrase up :))

The 6x6 film flatness issue is solved here: (to the best Holga issues can be solved)The 4.5x6 mask is modified...

http://www.argonauta.com/html/holga_modifications.htm#6x6

There are also other cool mods there.

Regarding the lens cap. Throwing it in the trash was done immediately after opening the box. I personally could see myself shooting an entire roll with that thing on there...

Instead of gaffers/photographers tape at 20.00 a roll in my area, I found black masking tape for 5 bucks a roll. You just have to double it up. I love the strange looks I get when I have that Holga in my hand, all taped up.

I love the fact I can throw it in my backseat, it is always in my car. The best part is any would be thieves would pick it up and dismiss it as a TOY, thus leaving my valuable photography equipment alone :)

On a seperate note, I have an Agfa Clack coming. Can't wait to see what that is all about...

You don't need to think just a few bugs which will return u w much fun....last time when i take wedding portrait for a couple and one of my friends shot a few pictures using his Holga with glass lens. the output print is astonishing wonderful with sharp image in the center and blur around.....everybody loves it!

The Holga is a fun camera. There's an Alternative Camera's forum here on photo.net that may be of interest to you:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/forum?topic_id=2122

I use a Holgaroid: the Holga 120S with a Polaroid back. It's a great excuse to get out and about during my lunch hour and snap a few "instant" photos. Sadly, Polaroid has recently discontinued the back.