Next year, I will be attending a wedding of a friend. They have hired

a professional, but I wanted to give them, as a present, a

small "informal album" of images made by a friend (me). I plan to

shoot in b&w with available light, using my Leica's so as to minimize

intrustion. I'll probably shoot with either Tri-X or Delta 3200. Any

hints on what not to do? What to look for? How not to offend the

professional photographer?

Thanks in advance.

Dvid, I think a good way to not offend the paid pro would be to let him know what you are doing and let him shoot first and have him let you step up after his shots. You could shot a PJ stlye and let him handle the formals. I would deffinetly talk to him and the B&G so as not to step on toes. You seem to be an easy going guy so I do not envision you having problems.

,Grinder

You should introduce yourself to the pro, particularly since you are carrying professional equipment, and explain that you are shooting informally. That said, stay out of the way - completely! Don't even be there while the formals are being taken (unless you are in one of the groups, and then don't shoot). Go for the situations outside of the Pro's reach or style, and have fun. Have you considered leaving the camera at home?

Don't ask to step in after the Pro takes a shot at any other time - that disrupts the pace. As the "pro," I ignore such requests, and make no effort to get out of the way as I set up for the next shot - it's my responsibility to get the shots and move things along.

I'd say just stay out of the way and capture things in a PJ style....you should be able to blend in with the P&S shooters...very few will actually appreciate/recognize your equipment. Since your shooting available light and in B&W, you'll have a distinctly different look to your shots than the other guests taking their "happy snaps".

I would suggest as a "must have" would be some shots of the pro doing his thing with the wedding party and the couple. It's rare that anyone actually gets this shot unless they have an assistant shooting PJ and even then, it is an often overlooked opportunity for some neat images. The attached shot was taken by my occassional 2nd Shooter, Megan Bearder at a recent wedding.<div>00E7RM-26403984.jpg.80259dda08b2aa23a4b360f908e74bb6.jpg</div>

The professional photographer is hired by the bride and groom, he isn't there for fun, and "offending" him shouldn't be a concern. Just stay out of the way like they mentioned above. I've taken a camera to a few weddings, and never had anyone look twice at me. You'll probably see some other people there with cameras and camcorders of various kinds.

Simply shooting B&W by available light, you shots will most likely be different enough that you won't have a lot of overlap with the pro's work.

There was a post a while back from a guy that had shot one of his first few weddings. A relative was there, also shooting the formal shots, and the pro discovered after the fact that all the posed people in the formal shots were looking off to the side at the other shooter, instead of at THE camera. Probably the reason for the "don't even shoot the formals" advice above.

If you try to move around and get different angles during the ceremony (as a pro would typically do), I think you'd be past the "minimize intrusion" point. Stay in your seat during the ceremony.

Here's your chance to develop your PJ skills by taking off-beam shots without antagonising either the pro or the wedding party (or the guests). Make an effort to capture moments which the pro can't or won't. Remember the key to PJ shooting is to constantly keep your eye out for expressions/compositions/great light - be opportunistic! Unguarded moments can be fantastic - often just before or after a staged shot by the pro for instance. The pro often has too much on his/her plate to grab these so your friends will otherwise miss out...

Hi David. I've done this for friends who wanted me at their wedding to enjoy it not as the

photographer. I NEVER take an SLR, only the Leica. It's quiet, unobtrusive and most people

think it's a point & shoot.

The suggestions to shoot candid moments are good ones. Kind of keep an eye on where

the Pro is so you won't be in his/her shots. Don't try to shoot any of the formals at all,

instead follow the guests to the reception and get candids of them because that's the part

the Pro can't get. During the ceremony you could try to get an aisle seat and catch the

Bride and Dad as they pass you (35 Lux is good for this) ... then put the camera away.

Here's one that presented itself as I was leaving for the reception with the other guests.

The Pro was loading her MF camera and I saw that the B&G had hid their Buds behind the

tree to keep them out of the formal photos. : -)<div>00E7kf-26410584.jpg.096b51dda746dac4d6ac8f1e5bac0957.jpg</div>

I did the same thing last year at my best friend's wedding. I put my focus on the details; her candles, flower arrangements, guests, scenic views from the chapel, anything the paid photog. might not get. The really funny thing is that when I gave her the album, she was a little upset, because she said my photography was better than the guy she paid. When she showed me the pictures her photog. took, I was shocked. I thought they were horrible. And that's when my husband finally convinced me, with my best friend's help, to open my own business.

I don't think it would offend the photographer. He IS getting paid, that's all he should be worried about and he should be confident in his work, in my opinion.

<<<There was a post a while back from a guy that had shot one of his first few weddings. A relative was there, also shooting the formal shots, and the pro discovered after the fact that all the posed people in the formal shots were looking off to the side at the other shooter, instead of at THE camera. >>>

Well that guy was me. I presented the album to the clients last week and they loved most of the shots looking AWAY from me. They said it seemed more *natural*. I was preapred for the worst and it was some of my best comments. But I still wouldn't have it done again that way. Just let the paid shooter do his thing and then follow up and do the loose and relaxed shots. Formals are really overhyped in my opinion unless the clients specifically orders them...and unless you got full control of the subjects, a real pain in the butt.

I have always taken shots at friend and family weddings. This past summer I have assisted professionally and now it will be real tough to not be doing what I love anyway. I have two weddings next yr at which I am a guest. My plan is to first ask the couples if they mind if I take pictures and then to ask if I can speak with their photographer so I can let them know my intentions. I would plan to stay away from the formals. Also, I'll be at the rehearsal, shower, etc.. and the pro won't be. I hope to get a lot of practice and experimental shots in and hope the pro is nice!

Thanks to all of you for your comments. Wow, what variety -- leave it at home, you will get stuff the pro didn't ... . My take away from this is: (1) don't get in the way of the pro -- hadn't planned on it, (2) don't shoot formals -- hadn't planned on it, (3) look for the moments that the pro might miss because I have a different level of access -- good idea, (4) other than the quick snap in the chapel, put the camera away -- good idea, and (5) let the pro know that you are just shooting as a friend trying to get some candid shots to share with the couple.

Thanks for the ideas and confirmation.

David