Moskva 2 "Shutter Shake"

I'm a medium and large format B&W photographer one of whose interests

is 6x9 folders. I have several of them.

I just purchased a Moskva 2 in excellent condition (lens, shutter,

rangefinder, etc.)

I'm familiar with the history of this camera, and have read the posts

here that at some shutter speeds some folks have experienced blur.

I'm getting that at 1/250 (which on this camera is a consistent

1/125) and 1/100 (a consistent 1/60). I assume that it's due to the

tension of the spring and the vibration as it fires.

This doesn't bother me much, considering how and when I shoot

(landscapes and still lifes, soft light.) My only-partly facetious

comment is that the only shutter speeds I really care about are "T"

and "B".

Nevertheless, I wonder if anyone has any thoughts about whether

anything can be done about this. There might be times I might want

to do hand-held photos of people, or just can't use a tripod.

Thanks,

Paul

Hi Paul....Several thoughts...How do you know that those speeds are as you have indicated them? What film are you using? Perhaps keeping with a higher speed film would help. How many rolls have you ran through this camera and is it consistent across the board?

Mark

I shoot reliably sharp images at 1/50s with my Moskva 5. Instead of holding the camera "as a camera" I use my left hand to hold the camera "as a camescope" by grasping the cover, then I use my left index finger to trip the shutter very, very gently in a continuous push.

Not sure this aplies to the Moskva 2, I need to look for one of these, there are more right-handed people than the Moskva 5 !

Also, I never use the faster/slower speeds, I just use 1/50s and 1/100s.

P.S. Last evening I "played around" with the camera. I put it on the tripod and lightly held the lens around the shutter while I fired it, both with the cable and pushing the lever near the lens. At the two speeds showing blur, I could definitely feel the release of the spring. By comparison, my Ikonta of about the same vintage exhibits nothing similar; I can feel only the much "softer" click of the shutter.

So I guess the bottom line is that I will use the speeds of (nominal) 1/50 and below. As I mention in an earlier post, no big deal given what and how I primarily photograph.

Thanks again for all the thoughts.

Paul

• 2 years later...

<p>All the older Compurs or imitations shake at the highter speed of 1/250, because of additional tension spring specific to that speed : more modern Compur don't.<br>

I experience this problem with a Moskva 5, a Moskva 2 (with "Moment" imitations of old Compurs) and with a Rodenstock folding equipped with an original Deckel-München Compur.<br>

Me too use the "camescope method" :) but best avoid 1/250 with such shutters (at 1/100, no problem).<br>

Paul </p>