Manfrotto monopods

david_gardner2

Kai Griffin: <i><br>

Sheesh, you guys sure are passionate about your anti-jitter pump-action monopod "thunks".<br>

I have a Manfrotto 276B that's been sitting largely unused for the past 3 years. This thread sparked my curiousity - frankly jitters and thunks are not things that I'd thought to test for when selecting a monopod, but having now gotten an education here, I thought I had better see if my choice stands up to a retrospective jitter and thunk test. Here are my findings:<p>1) The Newtonian Drop Test: Hold monopod vertically and release the top latch, letting gravity do the rest. Result: smooth and rapid slide, with a definite high-pitched "thwick". If I had the audio equipment to do it, I have no doubt that slowing down the noise would render a true BMWesque "thunk". I immediately regretted doing this test, though, because it took a bit of energy to retract afterwards. I don't think you're supposed to do this.<p>2) The Manual Solo Tug Test: Hold monopod horizontally, or at least semi-horizontally, release the bottom latch and extend just the one leg. Result: Definite jitters. Not as bad as tugging a cheap and trashy tripod leg (yep, I've had a few of 'em): the Manfrotto jitter is definitely a classier low-frequency jitter. More of a jutter. No cellulite, and certainly not unshaven.</p>3) The "Does It Work?" Test: Extend monopod to comfortable length, with camera. Check for wobbles. Result: No wobbles, apart from my own. But then, I knew that all along - fortunately I'd at least checked that out before purchase.</i><p>An enjoyable, classic response: wish I'd said that.

Now, Edie...no, I think Dee suits you better. Now that that's settled...Dee, that was very un-ladylike. One might almost say it was petulant.<p>

Before you get your panties in more of a knot, I'll send you whatever you like. A teddy? A chamisole? You name it. None of that Victoria's Secret stuff, though. I doubt you have the body for it, and you'll scare off all the men.

Dee Dee, oh Dee Dee. No sooner do I warn you about being petulant and unladylike and you're back at it again. <p>

By the way, the news at Bragg reports that a bunch of Airborne soldiers have been traveling to New York, where a "former Airborne" soldier who is also a "professional photographer" has been taking pics of them for a gay-themed homosexually-oriented web site. I wonder if he also told them he was a toolmaker.