Anxiously awaiting first Rollei photos

melaniec

Hello all,

Remember me? I'm the one who couldn't tell the difference between the aperture iris and

the shutter on my Rolleiflex 2.8F. This is a camera that belonged to my father and as far

as I know, has not been used during my lifetime. My parents used it for their honeymoon

photos, which means that it has been idle for at least 34 years.

Thanks to your advice I was able to figure out how to load my Rollei and use it. I took it

out this morning and shot a test roll, mostly of my dogs (who are getting used to being my

models now that this classic camera obsession has begun). I'll drop it off somewhere

tomorrow and hopefully have pictures back sometime next week.

I am guessing that the light meter on the camera is no longer accurate, but I used it

anyway to set aperture for my shots so we'll see just how off it is. For shutter speed I

stuck near 1/250 since I have the camera loaded with Tri-X 400 and the light was decent.

This is way more fun than digital!

-- Melanie

Melanie,

I have a couple Rolleis (a Rolleiflex 3.5 MX and a Rolleicord V), as well as several other film cameras using 120 or 35mm film.

Though the other cameras have special niches that they fill better than the Rolleis, I somehow find myself coming back to the Rolleis time and again. The big viewscreen, the quiet shutter, the way people, er, subjects don't even realize they're being photographed, the way my body helps brace the camera, the high success rate at slow-shutter speed shots, the ability to use the camera as a periscope over your head in a crowd (I'm only 5'-5" tall), or down low at the edge of the pool to shoot my son swimming... The overall design and functionality are just so darned refined and elegant and functional, the camera keeps drawing me back.

After the manual shutter / aperture becomes comfortable, you'll be really shocked how user-friendly that type of camera is. You've got a really fun learning curve ahead.

Doug Grosjean

PS - You think it's fun now, wait till you start processing your own B/W, and can manipulate development times, and not have to wait for the negs to come back from the lab...

PSS - Yes, way more fun than digital, at least for me - and for you too, sounds like.

I am 72 and amateur for fifty years. I have a Rolleicord the past five years, a Vb. It is great. I don't use it often, but it still takes great pictures. I only do black and white, and shot two weddings not as the pro but as a friend. My candids were treasured. You will have fun and creativity from this, and yes, you should try a rental darkroom sometime and do it yourself. Where do you send pictures out to?

henrygo2@citlink.net

Rollei TLRs are a kick to use...and, in your case, to have a personal connection with this particular camera you've been given makes it even more special. Should at first your results not be great, don't give up. After 34 years it could very well need a CLA...in fact, if you plan to really start using the camera it would be a good idea to get it done anyway to avoid undue wear. Over time the internal lubricants will begin to harden...even if it's sat unused. Happy shooting