that I can do w/o involving the authorities. Can I get away with some homemade

fix for this problem? Seems to be a vulnerable part, based on my experience at

least.

With my M7 in sick bay, I went for my backup M5 and found that the mercury

batter was dead. Believe its mercury because its extra thick and know that

these cameras used them. Is there a black market source for these - they've

been discontinued, yes? Or, is there a way to modify the camera to accept more

conventional/readily available batteries? In either event, I'm looking for the

quickest fix as I may be without the other camera for a while.

All advice/suggestions greatly appreciated.

Very good answer to the short term and thanks much. I do have a light meter that I never use which is probably why I didn't think of it. That leaves the longer term issue of getting the M5 battery replaced so still interested in thoughts on that.

Quick solution to the M5 battery is a Wein cell. Zinc-air battery, same basic voltage and stability as the old mercuric-oxide battery. But, only lasts 3 months once you pull the tab. Leave it in the camera carelessly, and you will have a MUCH WORSE mess than the mercury battery left!

"This happened to me with an earlier camera I had (I know Mr. Butterfingers) and think its a $200+ repair from Leica Service. Wondering if there may be a simpler work-around that I can do w/o involving the authorities. Can I get away with some homemade fix for this problem?"

If there's damage to the shaft or the threads on it, there's nothing but replacing it which would involve taking off the top plate but assuming there's nothing bent or broken further in, I can't see why it would be $200+, but then, I've never priced it out. Try calling DAG or Golden Touch, they might (accentuate might) be a little less expensive than Leica. If just the knob broke off and somehow nothing else was damaged, that shouldn't be too hard to replace once you get the new part from Leica.

The criscam MR9 adaptor works fine in the CL, M5, SL and SL2. It's not so good in the MR Leicameters because it's just a tad thicker than the std battery and holds the battery door open, putting pressure against the pivot, which is prone to breaking.