Help With Lens Selection for D200, Macro And Scenics

dan_v

I am new to the Nikon system; however, I see a D200 in my future and

will need a lens or two (to start) for it. I presume primes are

always(?) superior to zooms in producing highest-quality photos. I

shoot closeups and scenics primarily; not much into creature action

shots. I'm looking for the best glass possible. Your recommendations

are welcomed.

A friend of mine is a macro expert. She talked to some Nikon reps in Los Angeles, and they told her that there will be some DX macro lenses in the future. We don't know how far into the future, though.

Otherwise, the 60mm, 100mm and 200mm macros are all excellent lenses. The 200mm/f4 AF has the advantage of a tripod collar but 200mm may be on the long side for a small-sensor DSLR. Nikon also has a 70-180mm zoom macro, but it cannot reach 1:1 on its own.

"A friend of mine is a macro expert. She talked to some Nikon reps in Los Angeles, and they told her that there will be some DX macro lenses in the future. We don't know how far into the future, though."

You seem to be a source for vapourware, speculations and rumours, Shun?!

Vivek, if I dream up that Nikon should introduce such and such lenses, that is speculation. In this case, it is second-hand information from a source that I consider reliable, and IMO it is worthwhile to share it here. I specifically did not specify any time frame or which lenses as those are unclear to me.

And since I am also the moderator here, I get to decide what is and is not allowed here. Obviously I approve what I wrote. :-)

Do you have any problems with that?

It looks like speculation to me Shun. We do not know for sure that the new macro lenses will ever be available but I hope they have a great viewfinder and awesome buffer speed. Also I hope they come with VR-3 where you can shoot with 3 stops under.

For scenics, either of the two sets of Nikkor lenses should work for you. 12-24/17-55/70-200 or 12-24/28-70/70-200. Bear in mind that both sets are heavy. So if you have hiking in mind, it might be a burden. Your presumption that primes are always superior to zooms is questionable. The lenses I have listed are 'reasonably' comparable to any Nikkor primes. You will, of course find some prime lens which is sharper/better/x-er (where x is any of the desired lens attributes) at some f-stop than the above lenses. But overall, the above lenses will offer more flexibility and convenience. When you start using the D200, please share your opinion about the camera.

Canon & Olympus already have digital format macro lenses, it doesn't seem far fetched that Nikon would do the same - As a former Nikkormat, F1, F2, F3, n8008, owner - I liked the 55mm f3.5 and the AF 60mm & 105mm AF lenses. Will the 105mm give me 1:1 with a D70 or D200 without an extension tube? A long time ago I posted a question about focusing distance (using a Micro-Nkkor on a digital camera)- because of my ignorance, I didn't think about asking if there would be a difference concerning 1:1 until I looked at the spec's of other digital camera & lens manufacturers that state their close-up lenses need extension tubes for true macro; I saw mention of 35mm macro "image size equivalent" w/o tube & macro w/tube.

<em>"...some Nikon reps in Los Angeles..." --Shun Cheung</em><br>

<br>

Rolling on the ground, laughing like a fool... OK, I've gained my composure. Ok, yes, ah, Sorry.<br>

<br>

Shun, here is a "grain of salt" which might come in handy next time you need to evaluate the word of a Nikon rep from Los Angles. I have rock salt too if you need it. ;-)<br>

<br>

Seriously I don't know how one can sort the information from the misinformation and even disinformation that comes from reps. If they have a sample in hand and will allow one to hold it much may be learned. Otherwise I don't think what they say is worth repeating.<br>

<br>

As long as speculation is identified as such I don't mind it. I wonder what the advantage of a DX Micro-Nikkor would be? Micros are much like telephotos to me so I'm wonder why a DX? I'm not saying there isn't an advantage but just wondering.<br>

<br>

Regards,<br>

<br>

Dave Hartman.<br>

<br>

---<br>

<br>

Dan,<br>

<br>

The 70~180/4.5~5.6D ED Micro-Nikkor is a pleasure to use. The working distance is similar to a 105/2.8 AIS Micro-Nikkor and better than the AF version. The 70~180 tosses focal length and does not loose its effective aperture so it's not slow as a macro. It's something like a conventional 55mm at the short end and 105 at the long end.<br>

<br>

The 105/4.0 AI and AIS gives very nice mellow background rendition. If I want to smooth out a busy background I'd chose it over the 70~180 Micro but the zoom feature does spoil you. Instead of moving the tripod and refocusing and doing it again and agian you just zoom to resize the subject.<br>

<br>

The 70~180 works very nicely as a general purpose zoom also. It's no slower than the typical consumer zoom and it performs very well wide open so it's effectively faster. It's a great lens for hiking.<br>

<br>

I must say that the tripod collar has a tiny foot which if combined with a tripod head with a compliant surface cause major problems at shutter speeds between 1/2 and 1/60th second. It's best used with an Arca-Swiss type plate and clamp. I like the Wimberley lens plates as they have a channel down the center that helps with stability. The free working distance is not suitable for sky creatures. A 200 or even 300mm lens is better suited to these.<br>

<br>

The 70~180/4.5~5.6D ED Micro-Nikkor archives 0.75x without tubes. This fills the DX frame the way 1x fills the 24x36mm frame.<br>

<br>

I recommend the 70~180 Micro-Nikkor and the 300/4.0D ED-IF AF-S with a PN-11 and PK-13 tube. The later for shy creatures. If you need something for copy work I go for the 55/2.8 AIS Micro-Nikkor.<br>

<br>

Regards,<br>

<br>

Dave Hartman.<br>

"I specifically did not specify any time frame or which lenses as those are unclear to me."

No problems with what you post here, Shun. Just get me a pre-production run sample and send it to me. And, do not restrict it to just macro lenses, any lenses or for that matter any cameras and accessories will also be greatly appreciated.

Guys, we have long established that "average" Nikon reps, or for that matter, reps from other brands, are not necessarily knowledgaeble of what they are talking about. One situation I have cited a few times was back in 2001, some guy in the UK was hesitant to get the D1 because he thought a better model was just around the corner. A Nikon rep assured him that the D1 would not be replaced for a while. In the very next day, Nikon announced the D1H and D1X.

However, I have no doubt that friend of mine is trustworthy and there is no reason for her to make this up. Whether her source from Nikon is reliable or not I don't know.

The reason is that with the DSLR crop, the conventional macro lenses are now too long for some applications. Therefore, there is the need for at least one shorter macro lens for digital. Whether that will indeed happen and if so, whether it will have a small image circle is unknown to me at this time.

Thom Hogan has recently pointed out that Nikon has only introduced 3 new lenses all year (18-55 DX, 55-200 DX, 18-200 DX) and they are all consumer zooms. That is kind of slow. Hopefully they will have some higher-quality new lenses next year.

I want a Canon MP-E equivalent (from Nikon) at Canon MP-E's price.

It does not matter to me there is speculation or what, I want the lens to be available so that everyone can buy it.

FWIW, 6-8 months prior to the official announcement of the F6, I heard about it down to the specs (turned out to be accurate).

Vivek, it is no different from using any other lens designed for 35mm film on a small-sensor DSLR. The angle of view is now narrower and therefore you want a shorter lens to cover what you had before.

I happen to prefer long macro lenses, but I started using my 100mm macro again as the 200mm is quite long on Nikon DSLRs.

Hi Dan, I have ordered my D200 too. I have a lot of Nikon macro lenses and plan to try all of them out on the D200. I much prefer to use a macro lens with a tripod collar. For hiking, I use the manual focus Nikon 200mm f 4.0 AIS lens. It is an excellent lens, much lighter and less expensive than the AF version. I like longer working distances for my macro work. For scenics and macro, I plan to use my 55mm f 2.8 macro mf AIS lens and see how it works. Joe Smith

<em>For hiking, I use the manual focus Nikon 200mm f 4.0

AIS lens. --Joseph Smith<br>

</em><br>

Expect to see some CA as that lens is a IF but not and ED lens. I

own the AI version and a Nikon D2H. The CA is correctable with

Panorama Tools and others.<br>

<br>

Here are a couple of links you might like...<br>

<br>

<a href="http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_spec.html"

target="_new"><u>http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_spec.html</u></a>

<br>

<br>

<a href="http://www.naturfotograf.com/" target="_new"><u>http://www.naturfotograf.com/</u></a>

<br>

<br>

Regards,<br>

<br>

Dave Hartman.

In response to Tom's question, " Will the 105mm give me 1:1 with a D70 or D200 without an extension tube?"

A Nikkor 105/2.8 AF-D macro will give 1:1 reproduction on any camera and format to which it is mounted - D70, D200, F5 or 4x5. The reproduction ratio is a function of focal length and distance to the film plane, and has nothing to do with the size of the medium.

It won't fill the frame of a 4x5, but what's there will be 1:1 with the subject. A Nikon DSLR will crop the image so that the field of view will be less than on 35mm film, but the ratio is still the same.

I feel like I'm returning to 35mm which I haven't shot in many years so I've got lots of re-education to get through. Thanks to all for your lens suggestions/recommendations which will help me get back into the game more quickly.