Good locations in North east new jersey?

nokiah

Like the other poster, I'm wondering what town you'll be in and how much time you'll have. One place that might be of interest is the Great Swamp near (IIRC) Stirling, NJ. There are a few hiking trails through it, and depending upon time of year, birds and such to shoot. One caveat - the place is loaded with ticks, so if you go off trail at all, check yourself later on.

Head to North West Jersey? ;^)

If you're there during color season, you can sneak along the NJ/NY border and still be in semi-rural areas once you get west of Mahwah or so, IIRC. The extreme NW is hill country like the PA Poconos, lots of small lakes and such.

I'll second the Great Swamp. There's also used to be an Audubon or similar site near the Swamp.

There isn't a great deal of nature opportunities in Northeast NJ unless you're local and know about some best kept secrets(I'm not local to that area). However, there is a 7 mile trail that runs through the Palisades which is about as Northeast Jersey as you can get. The area is run by the Palisades Interstate Park Commission.

Other Northeast selections are: Norvin State Forest, Mt Ramapo State Forest and Ringwood State Park. Ringwood may offer you the best opportunities of the three.