Is anyone else disappointed with the staying power of there batteries for the

D200. Mine dont last anywhere near as long as the D70, I have thought about the

MB-D200 battery grip and wondered if it gives longer life to the batteries or

is it best to just stick to having a spare fully charged on standby. If anyone

has a MB-D200 do you find it more convenient an how much extra weight does it

add to the kit, bearing in mind that I am a landscape photographer & some days

carry my kit a long distance.

Regards Allen Kelly

The added weight is not really in the MB-200 but when you place the two batteries in it, then you feel the additional weight. You are already going to feel this additional weight in your bag because you are going to be carrying spare batteries anyways so adding the MB-200 will only add a little more weight.

I love the MB-200 because the camera feels better in my hand and its easier to shoot vertical shots.

Hope this helps.

With the MB-200 on, the D200 is about as big as a D2X. That can be an advantage or disadvantage, depending on your preference. I too agree that if all you want is extended battery life, I would just change batteries when necessary. There is no point attach two batteries to the camera and carry the extra weight all the time.

Back in the days I used an F5 and an F100, I never bought the grip for the F100 because I wanted my second camera to be smaller so that I had that option. If I wanted a bigger camera, I just used the F5.

I don't know how many shots you get/got from your d70, but my d200 takes as many or more than my d70 ever did. I guesws a lot depends on how much you are using the monitor to review. If you shut the monitor off, you would likely get over 1000 shots. I typically get 700+ shots per battery with monitor usage, which I think is reasonable, but have on occasion taken 1000+ on one charge. I typically take about 1500+ shots per event I shoot so I love the grip. But there is always a break in the action and changing a battery doesn't take long.

I use the grip mainly because I find the camera/grip combiniation much more comfortable to hold. The extra battery life is a 'bonus'!

Yes, my D200 needs charging about three times more than my D70 ever did. Its just a fact of life with a different ccd and larger pixel count, much larger lcd screen and more sophisticated processing algorithms. In my experience if you turn off image review you will, get 60% ish longer out of the battery. plus you will be a better photgrapher cause you wont always be checking playback

I got the MB-D200 a little over a month ago and it stays on the D200 all the time. Nice balanced feel and the vertical shutter release is great!

For tripod use you will need either to remove the grip or use a stabilizing plate or flash bracket. The grip mounted directly to the tripod is almost unusable, but when used with my custom brackets CB junior flash bracket it becomes solid as a rock!

Additionally - there seems to be some additive effect with the two batteries in the grip compared to loading the batteries up separately in the D200. I spent a long weekend shooting well over 2000 shots with some use of the on-board flash and the battery indicator was still over 3/4 full.

No, the MB-D200 DOES NOT extend the battery power or battery life of a given EN-EL3e battery. The MB-D200 does hold two EN-EL3e batteries and, by doing so, allows you to shoot twice as long without recharging.

Yes, everyone I know who shot D70-variant and D100 cameras was disappointed by the battery life of the EN-EL3e battery in the D200. The bigger problem was that well over a year went by after the introduction of the D200 when it was very difficult to find spare EN-EL3e batteries for sale. So a number of people were buying the MB-D200 to be able to use the included AA battery pack as a second source of battery power. EN-EL3e batteries are now easy to find, so go buy several spares.

No, the MB-D200 does not add much extra weight to the D200 body. Its plastic and fairly light. I use the MB-D200 because I like the vertical grip and vertical controls.

It is not fair to make a direct comparison to a d 70's battery life. It is like comparing mpg for a suv to a sedan!. To minimize battery drain on my d 200, I have set certain custom settings to minimize use and time of the display. That has made a big improvement in battery life. Like others I like my mb 200 for the reasons already mentioned. Joe Smith

Just to forewarn anyone who hasn't experienced this on their own yet. For the first few months I owned this, I loved the battery back. It takes juice from the batteries one at a time, so after a day of work I might only have to recharge one of the batteries. It also provides a shutter release button on the side that facilitates easier vertical shooting. The problem with this item is that there are 2 flimsy little white tabs that hold the batteries in place within the unit. After

using this outdoors for several months, the tabs became brittle and broke right off. You can still use the MB-D200 when your tabs break off, but basically you have to force the door closed and twist the latch closed. Upon opening it, the 2 batteries will simultaneously fly out at you. Not what I expected for $170. I sent mine back to Nikon in mid January for repair under warranty and have waited 6 weeks now while its status has remained in "waiting for parts" mode. I am leaving for Spring Training in a little more than a week and it looks like I am going to have to buy another one to use so I will be stuck with two of them. I wish there were other options out there...

Turn on RAW compression and your battery life will go up b/c you'll be able to write more images per gigabyte of CF card writing. Your D70 had it turned on all the time, so for an apples-to-apples comparison the D200 should have it turned on too. (you'll also need fewer CF cards, be able to shoot more shots more quickly, etc.)

• 3 weeks later...
I was just recently told -- by a salesman, go figure -- that there are actually 2 different versions of the EN-EL3e. The basic/standard one only lasts around 30 minutes whereas the more "advanced" one is suppossed to last for at least 3 hours (and of course is more pricey). Has anyone else heard of this or was the guy just telling me nonsense? IF it is true, then maybe this could be a potential solution.