Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM Lens ---> Review

dk.

<p>One thing I noticed when briefly playing with this lens, but hadn't seen mentioned in any reviews or in the press release, is that this lens lacks an IS mode switch. AFAIK, all other L IS lenses, as well as some non-L IS lenses, have a switch to select mode 1 (for stationary subjects) or 2 (for panning). For anyone who has this lens, has it incorporated automatic detection for this (as I hear Nikon's VR lenses have), or does this lens not have mode 2?</p>

Steve, it just has the one mode, and the user guide states:<p><I>"The Image Stabilizer might not be fully effective in the following cases:<br>---You move the camera for a panned shot."<br></i><p>Lack of Mode 2 is my only disappointment with this lens.

<p>Paul, thanks for the info. It would be nice to have mode 2 as well, but when I eventually buy this lens, it will be as a replacement for the 28-135 IS, which also lacks mode 2. So I won't be losing any functionality. Still, it's a bit disappointing that Canon has excised mode 2 from this L lens.</p>

While the 24-105 lacks the mode 1 & 2 switch, I find that it pans just fine. Even diagonally, without the initial jump that some others exhibit.

And for all the 1.6 crop camera users, I find that the 24-70 hood works well as a substitute and seems to cure the radial flare issue.

Thanks, David for posting the link for the review.