fastest lenses - all-time records

rainbowman

There are other brands besides Canon who made 55mm f/1.2: for example, Olympus made one (perhaps true of other focal lengths too) - perhaps you should find out which was the first made to include in the hall of fame? (I'm not fishing for 'glory' here: I've no idea who made the first one!)

Heiko, as long as you're counting slow lenses like the 100/2 Canon (I have one in C-mount) and 110/2 Zeiss, you ought to count the 100/1.8 and 100/2 Taylor, Taylor, Hobson lenses, the 100/1.9 Dallmeyer Super Six and Rareac, the 6"/1.9 (I sold mine), and 8"/2 Super Six. Also the 200/1.9 Boyer Saphir. Wray made 36"/4 lenses for aerial cameras.

What is the point of this exercise? And why are you excluding zoom lenses? I ask because I suspect that the 8.5-25.5/1.0 Canon zoom, as fitted to the 310XL, 310XLS, and AF310XL super 8 cameras, was made in vast numbers. Most of the other f/1 and faster lenses around seem to have been made in relatively small numbers.

Nikon made a one of a kind 58mm f/1, one sold one ebay a little back. Porst (or Sigma, I can't remeber), made a 135mm f/1.8 (faster than f/1.8) Pentax also made a 300mm f/2 (and a 50mm f/1.2), not just Nikon. Kowa made a 75mm f/1.1 reproduction lens. Most likely, Canon has a prototype 500mm f2.8 in their vaults somewhere, they accidentally leaked that and a 200-400/4 a few years ago, but it was never offically annoucned or released (it was a DO lens). Canon also made a specialty 800mm f/3.8 mirror lens (Zeiss made a similar model with the same speed). In the same line as the 800/3.8, Canon also made a 2000mm f/11 (Konica and Nikon also made 200/11 miror lenses) and a 5200mm f/14, both mirror lenses. Many companies make 14mm f/2.8, although Nikon made a 13mm f/5.6. Schneider makes 4.8mm f/1.8, 8mm f/1.4, 12mm f/1.4, 17mm f/1.4, Zeiss makes an 18/1.2, 25/1.2, and matches with both 35/1.2 and 50/1.2.

A mildly interesting info swap going on here. But, as the candidates listed vary so greatly in

format, shouldn't we be specifying 'fastest lens for infinity-focused, air-transmitted

panchromatic (~380-760nm?) images with diagonal view angle x'?...

All of which makes me wonder: if we put all this collective energy into persuading someone

to make an aps-sensor digicam with a C-mount, all those old 17mm/1.2's &c. might actually

see some good new use!