Hi, I recently bought a Canon EOS 20D

jay_n

If you want the quick, expensive and okay-results solution: buy a Canon 400 or 500 series flash, put it on the camera, put the camera in green mode and shoot away.

If you want the more time intensive but cheaper and better results solution: buy a sunpak 333 for $20 on eBay. learn how to control aperture and shutter in M(anual) mode. learn how to bounce and tilt the flash head. if you take the time to learn, your pictures will look 100% better, and you will thank me in a year. of course, it will make all of your pictures better, so this is what I recommend if you are going to be taking a lot of pictures in the future. since your kid is young now, I think that you are going to be a hobby photographer for the next...say...15 years :-)

other than that, learn about exposure and read as much as you can here - this is a great forum to learn about stuff.

Don't bother with a flash. Whack up the ISO to 800, or 400 and a pod, and shoot with available light. Try some BandW too. I did a baby shoot recently with a 20d and 50mm f1.8- some fab results. I do weddings with a 580ex attached. i only use it in about 5-10% of the shots.

"sounds expensive."

Hi Jay, you have just spent at least $1200+ on a 20D with lens. A $250 flash really isn't that much more in comparison, and in my opinion should significatly improve your flash photography. Also, your flash will very likely depreciate slower than your 20D (I am still using my old 420EX), so I'd say it's a good investment, not to mention the photographic opportunity you will miss otherwise. IMHO, equipment-wise: lighting outweights lens quality outweights what kind of camera you use. Best wish in finding a good flash.

Yup, find an 420EX on ebay and put it on your 20D. Aim it for the ceiling, set the camera

for ISO 100-400, maybe use the manual mode shutter speed around 125-250 depending

on lens used, aperture for however much depth of field you desire - start with 5.6 or 8.

The other option buy a new EF 50mm f1.8 for $79.00, set the camera for ISO 800-1600,

use the slowest shutter speed you can hand hold 1/60 (?) and let the camera find a usable

aperture. I do both. Molly's lit with a 420EX bounced as described.

Rich Reusser

Get the 430 (or the old 550EX, B&H is selling them for 299), a stofen Omnibounce, and play with bouncing the light off of the wall, the ceiling, you name it.

Also purchase the canon 50/1.8(or 1.4), this will open up the realm of available light photography in the house. Find a window and shoot away...

Here is a photo of my daughter as she was coming around a chair next to a large window in our home...

Andrew<div>00F6Nh-27907384.jpg.172db635411edb7ce20f859b25adb1fb.jpg</div>