Pan and tilt to ball head conversion versus new tripod

savas_kyprianides

Is it worth converting an old pan and tilt head tripod into one that can employ something

like an Arca Swiss B1. I have an old Bogen 3405B that is designed for around 11 pound

support. it came with a post and affixed pan and tilt head. I learned recently that I can

remove the post and head and obtain a replacement post with platform and stud, but for

around $45.00. Then, all I will need is the ball head, quick release unit and a plate for my

camera. Is this worth doing from the cost standpoint, as opposed to leaving this as is and

getting a new tripod?

I would just sell it and get one of the bogen Digi series that includes a ball head for $100. If you go your way your gonna spend $400 for the Arca head plus $45 for a quick release which weighs half as much as your tripod. Then to put that on a set of cheap legs just does not make any sense. oh and you need to buy the $45 post to try to

make it all work..

My viewpoint is that there are three main parts of a camera support system: Legs; Head; Quick-Release. Often the last two are integrated.

At this point in time, based on what you have said, if it were my equipment, I would get either an Arca-Swiss B1 with QR or a Really Right Stuff BH-55 Pro for the ballhead and either bite the bullet and get a new tripod now or defer that expense by spending the $45 for the post, platform, and stud.

Thanks for the varied responses. I figured this modification might solve a few issues,

especially in view of my indecision as to what new tripod legs I should get. 1.) getting what

some consider one of the best ball heads from the start. 2.) since the existing legs with

the post removed fits into my rolling carry case, it immediately solves a mobility problem

for inconspicuous urban carry. 3.) increase my functionality and shooting enjoyment with

the new head and with use, discover my stability requirements instead of guessing. 4.)

leave the setup as is, or 5.) get new cabon fiber tripod legs that suits my setup and needs

better than the former. With your encouragement, I am looking forward to upgrading to

the new post and head combination.