Going to Cancun for a week

iwong

What camera/laptop/travel bag would you recommend?

Gear will be a Mac 12" Powerbook, Nikon D200 with the 17-55/2.8 lens, a Contax T3, possibly a digital

P&S with waterproof case for the diving/snorkeling trips.

For the activities that will be done in Cancun and neighbouring islands, and for going through airports

and walking around the tourists attractions, the bag has to accommodate the above stuffs, plus maybe

some maps and whatnots, comfortably. May have to leave the laptop at the hotel safe, but unless

someone convinces me that the D200 may not see much use, I'll bring it along.

Interested in the Lowepro CompuRover AW, but it is big as it can swallow a 17" laptop. The Crumpler

Keystone also sounds interesting. I have the Lowepro Slingshot 200AW, which is perfect as a camera

bag, but unfortunately can't take a laptop.

Any recommendations?

I'm happy with a Crumpler Formal Lounge backpack. I think the particular model I have has

been replaced. I like the fact that it doesn't look like I'm carrying a DSLR and a laptop. Also

like the main compartment being inaccessible while worn. Holding up well after 18 months

near daily use. Took it through Cancun airport earlier this year.

Haven't been to beach resorts much lately. What should I be aware of? I chose the D200 instead of the D50 because of the weather sealing. Or should I be more concerned with a more expensive camera and should just take the cheaper one instead?

The previous reply was very well founded. If I were going to cancun and not planning to rent a car or something I wouldn't even bring a camera. Unless you're looking for "Girls Gone Wild" stock material.

If you are just using Cancun for its airport (which you should), rent a car immediately and get away. If you have family members there insisting on white sand and blue water, at least get them to compromise and go to Playa Del Carmen, which has a great beach, but on a scale of 1 - 10 is only a 8 or 9 in "tourist trap" instead of a 10+. If you're on your own, head in to the Yucatan. I had a lot of great shots in and around Valladolid and Merida, both are an easy drive from Cancun and the roads are totally fine. (outside of Merida are beautiful Cenotes..underground fresh water lakes in beautiful caves.. bring a tripod) The road south to the belize border at Chetumal has nothing as far as I'm concerned.. Campeche isn't worth the drive if you're short on time. Of course the best thing to do photographically in Mexico would be a long, all day drive to Chiapas, which is simply incredible. If I were you, I"d give up the canadian beach vacation, suck up the long driving, and spend the remaining time there.

Thanks John. Unfortunately, this will be a beach style vacation and I will be staying close to the beach, and will be doing snorkeling and/or diving. So driving long distances to the inland for photographic opportunities will be out of the question for me. I think the only non-water-sport related activity I will be doing is visiting the Tulum ruins.

I am more concerned with safety as lugging a DSLR around my neck in tourists areas will draw unwanted attention. Of course, if all the other tourists are lugging around D2X's and 1DS's thugs won't be interested in my mere D200. The secondary concern is of course sand and salt water damage, therefore the reference to weather sealing for the D200 (and lack thereof on the D50.)

If Cancun and the surroundings don't have much things worth photographing for, and especially don't warrant the hassle of bringing a DSLR setup, I am willing to sacrifice quality and just bring a digicam along with my Contax T3. I figured I will be getting the Fujifilm F30 and a underwater housing for it for the snorkeling/diving trips so sand and salt water damage is taken care of in this situation.

Any other advice?

It has been ten years since I've been to Quintana Roo, so I can only imagine the crowds

have gotten larger. Items of photographic interest - if you can get to the archaeological

site of Tulum, early in the morning, there are spectacular scenes of the ruins perched

above the aquamarine Caribbean. But there are also busloads and busloads of tourists

coming in from Cancun which will make the scenes a slight bit less authentic. The beach

south of Tulum is very nice and wide with lots of white sand. You may get some good

sunrise shots framed by palm trees.

You can go inland a few miles to the ruins of Coba, that exist in a somewhat more natural

state, with less tourists. Then there's Isla Mujeres, across from Cancun, maybe a little less

developed, but still, probably packed with tourists.

I second the motion above to go see Chiapas and Palenque. I'd take all my gear for that.

Cancun - D50, kit lens, polarizer, and lens hood.

Safety - I just came back from Guatemala, which, according to news reports was theft city.

My experience - nada, people helpful and friendly and I was carrying two Nikon bodies

with lots of lenses. On a scale of 1-10, Guatemala is probably ranked 9 on the be-

careful-with-your-gear scale: Cacncun - about a 2. I wouldn't worry about anything. I

would not leave a laptop in a hotel room, though, don't do that a home, wouldn't do it on

the road.

Hope this helps.