Canon's next two DSLRs

KenPapai

Now that the announcement of the XTi/400D is official what is next for Canon?

<p>

Solid leads seems to represent two new bodies between Sept. 1 and March 1.

<p>

- the 30D upgrade<br>

- the 1Ds2 upgrade<br>

<p>

The 30D replacement will be the "40D" and be the same 10MP APS-C as the 400D.

Its body will be magnesium and really represent a slight upgrade from the 30D

yet with DIGIC 3 onboard. Price of $1000.

<p>

The new 1DsM3 will be 22MP with DIGIC 3 as well and be priced close to $5000.

<p>

(as far as new lenses your guesses as always better than mine, my dream is a

50mm 1.4; the 5D replacement is a year away so who knows...)

I'm still waiting for the "Legend" part of today's announcement (per the Israeli website teaser banner) to materialize. Neither an incrementally improved dRebel, L-class 50mm prime nor updated L zoom qualify in my book. And besides, wouldn't any such "legend" be trumpeted with fanfare declaring something like "The Legend is Born" or "The Legend Begins"?

I have enough pixels and low-noise performance, and although anti-dust technology is very nice, I have a perfectly serviceable cleaning solution (no pun intended). So IMHO, any such "legend" would have to mean a new dSLR technology that dramatically (or at least, substantially) improves dynamic range. DiGiC III, perhaps?

It's getting progressively more difficult for Canon to get me to open my wallet. It would take a revolutionary new technology -- or a whole lotta incremental improvements -- to make me want to upgrade my 20D. I have high hopes for the 5D successor.

By "my dream is a 50mm 1.4," I presume you mean one with true ring USM. If so, I'm right there with you.

You want a legend?

How about a full-frame manual focus rangefinder a la Leica M8 or RD-1? Or how about a full-frame digital sensor in a thin metal chassis like the FM3A or F3HP? A small but serious camera like this would be so tempting.

But seriously, the EOS 1DS MK3 sounds very promising and if priced at $5K will have a huge market.

Canon's 55mm f1.2 aspherical could be considered a legend. You should see the prices they command used these days. Im not sure how closely related the old 55 and the new 50L are.

The Rebel camera was popular, but Im not sure its reached legend status yet. I wonder if the X in that countdown webapge was refering to XTi? My bet is their is still an annoucement for the 1DS camera yet to come.

"I can only say that there is a new 50mm 1.2 and a 70-200 F 4 L IS. No prices seen yet."

Price on the 50L was $1599. The zoom was $1250.

As for the 50 1.4- adding IS will only give it a higher price tag which some dont want- especially in light of the 50L price.

True -- adding I.S. to a new 50mm will not tempt me, too much money and I.S. in a fast prime? Not.

I want a nice, MODERN EF, 50mm lens -- not a monstrous 1.2 L costing over $1500!

My next camera will either be the 40D (gack though if still an APS-C) or the 5D upgrade for less than $2200. I have the glass and want a new body. The 10D size is perfect, so the 5D size is also perfect. The 20D/30D is a little small and the dReb's not even in the picture, I don't even one a free one.

I want a *built-in* split-circle focusing screen like my Minolta 102 from 1974 that I bought from K-mart.

I also have to believe that "The Legend" they have lined up is a new top of the line 1DS at a more reasonable price, as Ken said, possibly in the neighborhood of $5000. At this point, sitting on a 20D, a camera with which I am very happy, a relatively affordable 1DS is what it would take to tempt me to part with more of my hard earned cash. I want the next one to be something I can be happy with for a long time. BTW, I plan on keeping the 20D.

The current 50F1.4 USM lens is an excellent normal according to general opinion. However, the 20F2.8, 28F1.8USM and 28F2.8 EOS lenses are not highly regarded. Now that inexpensive

aspherics and ED glass have become ubiquitous, it's time Canon redesigned their

obsolescent core of wide angle primes! It's nice that they pop out a new zoom

every month, but some serious and unstinting effort should be made on those old

wide primes.

I think that canon will get one last run out of the 1.6 crop sensors for the 20d/30d/40d bodies. There isn't a whole lot you can do with them at this stage. Sure some people want ECF, I want weathersealing etc. but all in all, they're more than adequate for most of what we do in terms of speed, build and image quality.

So I predict the 40d will have a cropped sensor, and after that it'll be full frame. Oh and it'll sell for $1500 like all the others have. After that it'll probably be an EOS 3 equivalent. Our holy grail of DSLR's!:) The rebels would keep the 1.6x for a generation or two after.

It all depends on the competition of course. Gotta love nikon, but especially sony for putting a bit of competition into the market. Without those 10 meg sensors do you really think canon would have put the new sensor in the XTi? It could have been another 20d-30d 'upgrade.'

I held onto the old Dreb for a few years until adding the 30d. Now it's time to wait for the 5d replacement.

As to the $1600 'standard prime,' don't get me started! I was expecting less than 1k for a F1.2, or $600 for a great F1.4.

just some thoughts.

I've never written a "I wish Canon would make a....." post, but here's my $.02.The "direct print" button on the 5D has always been a real turn off for me. I've never been able to overlook that in a camera of that quality and price. But I'd take a 5D sensor in a "1" series body and happily pay $3000 for it. My wish is that, as prices come down some on the new bodies (although apparently not on the new lenses) Canon would expand the "1" series by a body or two.I can't be the only guy out there who'd be willing to jump into a pro body for the right price and doesn't need 18-22 MPs. OTOH, I've considered that it may be too expensive to offer that many bodies at any given time and may prevent price reductions as the technology ages.

Comments ?

Picture Styles....just a big fat gimmick....when is Canon going to give us what we really want? Dynamic Range Extension.

Who cares about more mega-pixels, and other features? Just give me a Rebel XT-ish box to capture raw light and provide true 15 stops of DR...oh, and a lowly 8.2mp will be fine too....and for such a box I'd pay $1,500 too.

I used the Direct Print button on my wife's camera once (a Powershot S400), just to demonstrate to her how to use it. (She's not much for reading manuals, and I'm pretty good at figuring such things out with little trial and error.)

And that's where (and only where) such buttons belong: on Point'n'Shoot models, *not* on dSLRs.

The FD 50mm 1.2L is a legendary lens among those who used it. There was a 55mm and a 58mm as well, but the L is the one to have. I have a feeling that the reintroduction of the 50mm 1.2L is the "legend". It would make sense.

Another thought is that they are going to rename their flagship the F-1D, or maybe F-2 (although they already had a calculator with that name).

Personally, I would like a 10 to 12 Mpixel version of the 1D mk. II-N with improved high ISO noise. The extra file size would make it a more versatile camera, although it is not really necessary. The 1.3 crop is fine. Many a sports photographer would be unhappy if Canon were to go FF on everything. We need cleaner high ISO before we need larger files.

Maybe they are going to stun us all with a true system camera like the F-1, where there is ONLY ONE pro body, and a plethora of cool bolt-ons.

It will have built-in wireless.

Keith

• 3 weeks later...

It's time for some first class results on the wide end. Maybe an L retool of the 20mm fixed, or perhaps even wider. Maybe just a little more effort with quality control -- it sounds like those wide zooms are really variable from one copy to another.

Regarding the print button, that is corporate strategy to gain market share with printer hardware. If they can get the wide masses to use a canon printer, they rule that end of the market as well. They know that serious photographers wouldn't be interested, but they are instead fishing the general masses for increased product volume.