moon shot SECOND TRY

john_pyle1

Thanks to all who responded to my previous post. Great info and as you can see helped out

a lot. This picture was made at f/10 and 150th of a second with canon 20d IS, USM on tripod

at 7pm here in Georgia, USA. Is this the best I can expect or should it be even better. ISO

was at 100 and white balance set to daylight with partial metering. Thanks, John

Head over to cloudynights.com forums, they have some great astrophotographers that can give you the advice you need right away.<br>

But for now, I would slow down your shutter speed just a tad more if you want it slightly brighter...<br>

A big thing in the astronomy world is using a moon filter with our telescopes, which I believe would be equivalent to a neutral density filter for a camera lens. We use them in our telescopes as the moon becomes too bright to enjoy, so the filter brings out more of the crater detail, hope this helps.

John, what was the focal length of your lens again? And is that full frame? And were you shooting raw? Regarding composition: maybe accept that if you can't fill the frame (due to focal length), aim for a composition where the moon is just part of a larger scene?

BTW, you could just add this to previous thread.

I would go for more contrast. Also I would increase the ISO to 200, turn off the metering and rely on manual exposure. Although I usually shoot the 1/2 (gibbous?) moon, there is much more light allowing a shorter exposure. I thought your picture was underexposed by about 1 f stop. Keep working at it....that's what is nice about a digital....you can bracket 3-4 shots and almost instantly tell your best exposure. If you are shooting when the moon is too near the horizon, you will have greater atmospheric haze to go thru which generally reduces contrast, so make sure to shoot when you have the least amount of interference.

Focus is just off making for an image without much contrast. You can try using a hartman

mask to get critical focus. Basically make a cover for your lens with two circles cut out. When

you're out of focus you'll get two offset images. When the images are completely merged

you've got good focus.

Yes I would agree that you're a bit under-exposed. Switch to manual and use the f/16 rule with 1.5 or 2 of overexposure (adjust to taste).

So at ISO 100, and exposure time set at 1/100th, set your aperture at f/9 (try even f/8).

And yes, your lens is a bit short. Even 300mm is a bit short.

Indeed keep trying, it's digital after all!