preferred camera delivering the highest percentage of "keepers" of

any camera I've ever owned. I appreciated the auto load, wind and

rewind, but I've just had to send it off to Contax for warrenty

repair for the fourth time in less than three years. It has occured

to me who is going to fix it ten years from now? No such problem with

the M6. I will be forced to sell some film cameras to help finance my

digital SLR adventures and had hoped to keep it as my sole

rangefinder, but I guess I'm stuck with the old reliable and easily

repairable M. Still a pain in the a-- to load though.<div>00DzcM-26239984.jpg.4b9b32d26387b08cc385399f6d1f02d4.jpg</div>

Before you rush to any rash decisions, were the repairs of the same thing every time, or different things? (I suppose that could mean very little, but it is relevant)

Plus, no electronic device can last forever...eventually all such things will die.

I suppose my comments are neither here nor there, as what I would suggest is that the camera would possibly die in less than 10 years anyway, but that's just another legitimization for selling it now....

I just hate to see people getting rid of things they like.

Don't sell it, Sanford! Instead, use it as trade to finance DSLR adventures. At least, that's what I intend to do with my G1 system (1 body, 1 45mm & 1 35mm, flash & leather case). Whatever they give me, I'll use it towards a Nikon AF 80-200 zoom or something else that may strike my fancy. Do the same too!

I have my G2 for three year now and it never let me down, knock on wood.

This year I bought a silver sticker G1 which is so worn out you'll never beleive it. It has film marks on the presureplate just like Winograds M :-)

There is only one problem, the shutter button is worn out and you have to press it very carfully or it won't release.

I contacted Kyocera in Hamburg for the ROM update for the 35mm Planar and they do it for free, since they have to open the camera to get to the ROM, they fix the shutter button without cost, too.

As long as I get film and batteries, I'll use those!

Bummer you got a lemon. Mine's worked prefectly for more than 4 years now, and that's through some heavy use. <p>

Worrying about 10 years from now is a bit ridiculous, especially since you can get a very nice used G1 or G2 for a backup for very cheap now. As for the M6 still being fixable...of course, it's a lot more "analogue", but sure cost you more than a G2! Buy one used TTL M6 or three G2 bodies.<p>

Regards,<p>

Richard<br>

G2 and Leica MP & M3 user

Well, that's too bad but it sounds like the camera was giving you trouble. I got my G2 4 years ago...and it was a used one then...and it has given excellent service but...that doesn't help you.

I always find it interesting that digital (which is widely touted as being 'FREE' photography) is so expensive that people have to sell off their other gear to finance it!

I have several Contax SLRs and a reasonable nubmer of lenses to go with them and STILL was able to afford the G2. It makes you wonder what the 'affordable' medium really is!

Plus, no electronic device can last forever...eventually all such things will die.

Unfortunatily true dudes. However, the G2 is an amazing camera offering the penultimate in lenses; Leica could only wet dream about making such a camera.

But those old mechanical cameras keep on marching on.

Meryl, owning the camera and a couple of lenses won't cost much. Taking pictures is the problem. I limit myself to one or two rolls a week, more in summer and less in winter. Every third year I travel far and shoot a roll a day, sometimes two. When I return home after three weeks I need another $200 for processing and another three weeks for scanning :-)

So yes, shooting with a digital is close to free, wear excluded, putting one in a showcase is not.

Since my showcase is full with Contax SLRs, Kievs, Zorkis and lenses, the D60 and lenses are in the bag ready to grab whenver I go out :-)

I mulled over a g1, R2, or a used m4-p for a long time. When it finally came down to it I

could not pass over the g just on price point. It was either a camera and a 35, or a camera

35, 45, and a 21. I do not regret anything although I still have a desire some times to pick

up a used leica or voigtlander and get only just one lens for it and use side by side. I like

the contax. I never was bothered by any of its quirks and the fact that the fastest lens is

only F/2 is fine by me...I could not afford any of the leica F/1.4 anyway. I still need to grap

another body or two with prices so low and maybe the 90mm.<div>00Dzl2-26243784.jpg.0f45d332a8c6ec6b6758712694934158.jpg</div>

Sanford - as a Leica user you've got to know the pain of missed cameras (I can name all the Leicas I've let slip through my hands -- wish I still had each of them), and I have to say, I miss my G2 quite a bit. I got a lot more of what I call "stunners" - shots of startling clarity - with my G2 than I get with my current DSLR setup - and the camera was a joy to use. I'd think twice before unloading it.

4 years with 2 G2's and no problems. Many rolls through them and the only errors are

those of user-nature. The Hexar AF is nice, but that damn external metering. If I didn't

slip a finge over that meter to the right of the lens every other shot, I would have really

liked it ;)

Try to get your hands on a G1 - Foto Huppert in Germany still has some NIB samples which sell for about EUR 250-300, which is most probably less than what the G2 repairs cost you. My G1 is perfect except for the outer condition and it delivers first-class results. I would really miss something if I had to shoot SLR or Leica M only.

"Francisco Solares-Larrave , oct 27, 2005; 03:03 p.m.

Don't sell it, Sanford! Instead, use it as trade to finance DSLR adventures. At least, that's what I intend to do with my G1 system (1 body, 1 45mm & 1 35mm, flash & leather case). Whatever they give me, I'll use it towards a Nikon AF 80-200 zoom or something else that may strike my fancy. Do the same too!"

Wow! I want to come to your town. Anywhere I've been dealers offer about half of what I can sell it for myself.

Ben, I am aware I won't get a lot for it, but I'm certainly a bit tired and busy to offer equipment for sale anywhere. I'm not expecting to get but some $200 for the system... which will be fine with me. After all, I used it and liked it intensely, but prefer the shelf space instead.

Maybe the folks at Central Camera in Chicago are nice enough with me...

"Pentax IQ Zoom series is a better Contax G."

I realize that there are Contax bashers on the Leica forum, but statements like this one are totally ludicrous. It reveals the writer as someone who regards the G cameras and P&Ss. The G2 is no more a P&S than is an F6 or an Eos 1v. I owned a Pentax IQ once. I considered it to be a useable piece of garbage. I never could get an eye popping image out of it the way I can with the G2.

"Still a pain in the a-- to load though"

Sanford, if this is your experience, I can only suggest that you are not using your M6 enough.

I just timed myself. With film and camera in hand the loading of my M6 took just 31 seconds. This sequence went from removing the baseplate to winding on to the first exposure.

If you require quicker than that, then you need 2 bodies IMHO