Gitzo Tripod to go with Arca Swiss Monoball B1G

pto189

My largest lens so far is the Canon 300 f/4L IS. I need a Gitzo tripod that

can handle with ease the Arca Swiss Monoball B1G, Canon 5D with grip,

Speedlite 580EX, and may be in the future, the Canon 300 f/2.8L IS with TC

1.4x II. Suggestions for other brands are also welcome. Thank you.

The B1G is a really big head (hence "G" for "Giant). I should think a G-1325 (or any G-13xx) legset would work. Weight capacity is not an issue - your equipment is relatively light. It is more a matter of balance between the size and weight of the tripod and head (q.v., http://www.reallyrightstuff.com about balance). For a single tripod, a G-13xx is a good balance between capacity, stiffness and portability, and the G-1325 stands at the top of the short list.

Size for size, the B1G might look better on a G-15xx. However, you might find a 9 to 12 pound tripod stays in the car, or worse, at home.

For reference, I have a G-1227 (CF) with a B1, which I use most often for hiking and travel, a G-1346 with a leveling head in the woods around home, and a G-1504 tripod rigged for video.

In my experience, 2 series Gitzo is the best overall size for short lenses while 3 would be better for a bit longer ones, or for medium format. 4 and 5 series is for the really long lenses (500-600) and would be very good with that G head. In your case, I would suggest 3 series although 2 would probably do at least with the 4/300.

If you go with a G-12xx tripod, a leveling ball by Bogen/Manfrotto or Acratech (!) is an useful accessory - essential for stitched panoramas and convenient for action shots with panning. A short column is very useful "in the woods" with a rapid column, as it allows you to shoot from ground level. Short columns don't cost much and are easy to carry.

IMO, a B1G is overkill for anything lighter than a view camera, and I don't recommend a ball head for that anyway. The standard B1 with an Arca-Swiss or RRS clamp will give ample support. Big glass (400/2.8 to 600/4) works better with a Wimberly head (gimble mount). You would be fine with the B1 and a 300/2.8 using the lens collar.