VR or IS who uses them in Weddings?

jc5066

Who uses an image stablizer for durring weddings?

Looking at either the Nikon 80-200 or the 70-200 VR. One is half as

much as the other. From my understanding both are pretty equal in all

aspects except VR.

Does anyone shoot weddings with the VR on? Is it worth it?

Good question Jon,

I have the Nikor 80-200, and I love it. But, I can't hand hold under 1/125 with it. sometimes even that is questionable if I am zoomed to 200. (I use it on a DSLR, so there is also the crop factor). I too am debating if it is worth the upgrade to the 70-200 VR. I'll be listening to the others.

This range zoom can be very useful for shooting the ceremony. The light level for most indoor ceremonies is low. You would have to use a tripod to get sharp shots and it's not always practical, or possible, to use a tripod. Having used a non VR 80-200 once, and a 180/2.8 many times, I would only buy the 70-200 VR. If 497 people responded to this thread stating that VR/IS wasn't a valuable feature, I will continue to hold out buying one until I could afford the VR one.

I used my 24-120 VR Nikkor on my D2H for my niece's wedding. VR helps me because I can't handhold steadily as well as I used to (back injury). Since I was shooting at 1/30 second to balance ambient light against flash I wanted to minimize the risk of photographer induced blur.

With VR I can handhold steadily down to 1/8 second (even with the 70-200 VR and 80-400 VR I tried in a local shop). The tricky part, of course, is hoping the subject doesn't move. VR/IS and any form of optical stabilization won't help if the subject moves too fast relative to the shutter speed.

VR can help even at faster shutter speeds in some circumstances. It helps to stabilize the image during panning. I tend to wobble a bit when panning and VR can help minimize that problem at shutter speeds of 1/125-1/500.

But if you can handhold steadily at reasonably slow shutter speeds (relative to the focal length), you might not need it. You can save money doing without VR or IS, altho' in some cases that also means buying used or doing without a particular lens altogether. For example, the only alternative to the 70-200/2.8 VR AF-S Nikkor still in the lineup is the 80-200/2.8 AF Nikkor, which lacks the quicker-focusing Silent Wave Motor. The 80-200/2.8 AF-S Nikkor (no VR) has been discontinued and good used samples cost almost as much as a new 70-200/2.8 VR. And there's no non-VR lens comparable to the 200/2 VR Nikkor in the current Nikon catalog. The closest thing is the 180/2.8 AF Nikkor which also lacks the SWM.

Some folks might argue that using a faster lens obviates the need for VR: Shoot at f/2.8 and VR is unnecessary. The problem with that rationale is that sometimes we need the extra depth of field. Stopping down to f/5.6 or f/8 puts us right into the ballpark of the variable aperture 24-120/3.5-5.6 VR. Sure, I wish it was an f/2.8 zoom. But for certain situations it's very useful as-is.

I use the canon 70-200 IS. can't speak for canon, but the IS is useful to me. during a ceremony, I can have a wide angle lens mounted on a tripod w/ a shutter release cable, lens around f5.6 or 8 to get some good DOF, and handhold the 70-200 at 1/20th or 1/30th of a second to get two different shots of the same moment - usually the kiss. without the IS, I would have to use a tripod for the 70-200.

CE

I also use the Canon 70-200 2.8 IS and I use the IS feature during all my ceremony shots. It allows me to shoot at around 1/30 or 1/20 handheld at 200mm (on a 1DmkII so the crop factor increases that to about 260mm) with very few problems. I love it and would not dream of shooting a wedding without it now.

<i>I was told that if you buy and use a VR, don't turn on the VR unless you kneed it (which seems like a hastle).</i>

<p>

Turn it off when mounted on a tripod. Also turn it off hand held when you are absolutely rock solid like el capitan. I leave mine on, even if say I'm taking a shot at 85mm with a shutter spead of 1/250. In that situation I don't knead it, but I paid a lot of dough for it, so I leave it on.

Jon-- I had the 80-200, but I sold it when I got the 70-200 VR. First of all, the 80-200 is OK, but the VR is a killer in terms of sharpness, at least mine is. Even better than the 80-200, and more even exposure across the frame, too. And if you're shooting digital, that extra ten mm on the low end makes a difference.

I've successfully hand-held down to 1/15 sec., and got somewhat acceptable results for smaller-size prints at 1/10 sec.

I love this lens and couldn't live without it. -BC-

VR/IS won't make an image less sharp. However, as Jon noted, most should be turned off when mounted on a tripod. An exception is the 200-400/4 VR Nikkor, which some users report works well on a tripod or monopod with VR turned on. Just for the heck of it I tried my 24-120 VR with VR on and off on a tripod and couldn't see any difference.

VR/IS do have a couple of quirks. It takes a fraction of a second for the stabilization to kick in, so you have to anticipate needing to use it. I just keep the shutter release partially depressed. It sucks up more battery juice but I also carry one or two spares and the D2H is very efficient.

Also, the image in the viewfinder shifts very slightly and there's a barely audible click when VR is engaged and disengaged.

Finally, the image may seem to "swim" a bit when VR is engaged. It's because stabilization is reacting slowly to the photographer's own movements. It can be a bit disorienting at first but you quickly get accustomed to it.

When I switch from my 24-120 VR to my older 85/2 AI-S and 105/2.5 AI Nikkors I'm suddenly reminded how much difference it makes even with moderate telephotos. I can usually hold these lenses steadily enough at 1/125 or faster, but I feel like I'm a willow in a gale.