like the D50 size, the D80 will be wonderful. Second, I just shot my first

event with my D200. The clarity and color rendering are amazing. I can almost

throw photoshop out except for some noise reduction at high ISO, which is

common. The noise is still minimal. The camera is simply awesome. The D200 is

sturdy, well balanced, and just feels good in the hand. For anyone who wonders

if it is worth the 6 or 700 extra dollars, by all means it is. If you can

afford to get this camera do so, you wont be disappointed. I am posting this so

some of you who are wondering what to do might have some insight. I am no pro,

just an average guy who loves to take photos.

The D200 is $1699 and the D80 $999. A 70% price increase for ergonomics alone might not be worth for some. I guess the D200 must come down in price a bit, perhaps a 30-40% price difference would be more suitable. Don't get me wrong, the D200 reminds me of my F100 (which I still own along with the D70) and I can definitely "feel" the difference in ergonomics. However, since the D80 came out, I've really started to oscillate between the D200 and D80. I think the only thing I would miss in the D80 is the 1/8000 max shutter speed, yes sometimes I end up shooting higher than 1/4000. I haven't tried the D80 yet, but since it's as small as the D50, it might be quite unbalanced with some of the heavier lenses I have.

I have recently bought a D-70s having stuck principally with film until now. (Other than a foray into digital with a Sony DSC f717 a few years back.)

My first choice if I was willing to spend the money would definitely be a D200. Lovey camera and great specs. Dont get me wrong I love the D79s too. I am extremely impressed with its ability to capture and render great shots again and again. If I do MY job, the camera does ITS job. I have added an aftermarket battery grip to it to enhance its balance and heft. This has improved the camera as well as well and I get the added bonus of being bale to shoot for days and days without even having the think about batteries. But I am a sucker for well engineered camera bodies that are as durable and weigh about as much as a Abhrams tank and the D-200 with its MB-200 grip is the object of my gretest desire.

Congrats on your purchase.

Hold a camera for an hour or so and ergonomics aren't important.

Hold a camera for 8 to 10 hours a day and ergonomics become very important.

Use a camera like the average consumer and build isn't important.

Use a camera like the average pro and build is very important.

Elliot,

This was my exact conclusion too. It's more of a D50 replacement to me. I prefer my D70s over the D80 for a few reasons, mainly the flash sync speed. I shot my nephew's 11th birthday party at a park with my SB-600 flash and even at ISO 200 I needed the fast flash sync speed. And 6mp is plenty for me, it makes beautiful 8x12 enlargements.

I'll upgrade to the D200 in a couple of years I suppose.

Dave

Dave Lee, as we have said before, I really hope that you'll stop saying anything like the D80 is the D50's replacement. IMO that is clearly a false statement because: (1) the D80 costs almost twice as much as the D50 and (2) the D50 is not at all discontinued at the time the D80 is introduced. The D80 and D50 are similar only in (1) size and (2) memory card type. The latter will likely be a transition at least for consumer-grade DSLRs.

The D80 is an upper-end consumer-grade DSLR similar to the D70s. They are much closer in price and they have higher-end features such as two command dials and depth of field preview that are lacking in the botton-end DSLRs such as the D50.

Nikon's own position is that the D80 is a net addition to its DSLR line up. Officially, nothing has been discontinued as a result of its introduction. However, at least price-wise, the D80 is more expensive than the D70s which is in turn more expensive than the D50. Whether it makes sense for Nikon to continue producing both the D80 and D70s remains to be seen.

>>I think the only thing I would miss in the D80 is the 1/8000 max shutter speed, yes sometimes I end up shooting higher than 1/4000

But D80 has ISO 100, D70(s) goes down to ISO 200 only. Unless you really need the 1/8000 to stop movement, ISO 100 at 1/4000 will give the same exposure at any given aperture as ISO 200 at 1/8000.