Linux and D70S

alex_bartonek

Anyone here have any success in leaving the camera in USB mode to xfer

pics to your linux box? I can use it in PTP mode and then use gtkam

to transfer pics but thats about it. I'm using SuSE 9.2 Pro. I

tried telling the software to use the D70 USB mode but that didnt

work..I'm guessing the firmware update to the D70s changed something?

-Alex

I have success in using a USB card reader, a mult-card reader, and Epson P-2000. I use FC3.

The only issue I have is if I do not allow about 5-10 seconds between connecing the cardreader and inserting the card; or removing the card and removing the card reader. (there is a cpu spike or two.) After this happens I have to reboot my box, to get it to work again.

I have a D70 and do not hook it to my work station.

Not to argue for the sake of argument, but does a CF card reader *really* involve less wear and tear than using the USB cord?

Think about it ... all those tiny pins in a CF card. Very few pins in a USB attachment and what pins they have are stouter. And the plug/socket attachment is pretty sturdy.

I hardly ever switch CF cards unnecessarily. If I have my USB cord handy, that's what I use for file transfers. I try to confine CF card swaps to shooting situations. If I have more than one CF cardful of data to transfer, *then* I'll use the card reader.

Just my dos pesos and worth about as much.

by less wear and tear I think that plugging and unplugging the usb cord from the camera is what they are talking about.

I already have a external reader but I'd rather save plugging and unplugging of the CF card from the camera. Its much less wear and tear then pulling the cf card in and out. At any rate, PTP mode works ok its just kinda slow...would rather use USB.

-Alex

@CI P: yes you can but I have to use it in PTP mode.

@Richard:

I dunno..I havent looked at any comparison in xfer speed.

My only question I guess is, is PTP mode slower then regular USB M mode on the camera? If not then PTP is a-ok.

Here's a link for Linux folks w/a D70..I'm sure its applicable to the 's' model also.

http://pages.quicksilver.net.nz/pepe/d70/Nikon_D70_on_Linux.html

I have a D70, which is USB 1.1. I also have a CP 950, so I HAD to get a card reader. I happen to have a 6-in-1 reader, which is nice as I have download friends cards when they visit.

I supose the interesting part of this thread is that there are so many options. Each of which is valid, and one or two will work for each of our style.

In my experience USB connectors are more sensitive than the CF card interface in terms of mechanics. It's never occurred to me that the pins could be damaged (that would require misalignment which I don't see realistic to happen. However, it's easy to pull on an USB connector laterally by accident and lose the interface. YMMV

I'd never bother to use the cable though because I don't have so much space around my computer to lay the camera on. Also, I don't want cables coming out of my camera - too risky. CF card readers are faster than my D70, too.