Where .. oh where...?

jaquesbre

maybe a silly question... but where, in the members view... is it a mini heaven

on earth to photograph?

Having not really taken photos for a number of years, I was looking through the

holiday albums, my new EOS10d next to me... and wishing I could do those holiday

trips again (this time with a REAL camera, not the wife snapping with a mini

pocket camera)

If I will ever make it back to all those places... I doubt it... there is still

much to see of the world...

So back to the question... which place/country/town... do YOU find, for whatever

reason, to be "the place" to make a photographer a happy boy/girl ?

Wait for it....IRAN. Yes, Iran.

Fantastic ancient country, super friendly people, not too many tourists, variety of wildlife, mudbrick villages and modern cities, jungles, coastlines, deserts, snow-covered mountain ranges, old exotic buildings, multicultural people, ancient ruins, spectacular mosques etc etc. AND NO RESTRICTIONS ON THE USE OF TRIPODS!

See for yourself: iRAN Project (Public)

Your question is in the same league as "How high is up?" or "How long is a piece of string?" The real answer is that <i>anywhere</i>, even your own back yard, can be "a mini heaven on earth" if you just open your eyes to the infinite creative possiblities there.

<p>That said, I think seeing creative possiblities is often easier when you're away from home, and particularly in a beautiful or exciting place. But finding the possibilities nearby is in itself an exciting challenge. And it has the very strong advantage of not requiring spending hours in airport queues waiting to have your shoes x-rayed, your toothpaste confiscated, or whatever other hassles some Authority decides to impose as the latest addition to their sham "security."

I think my "favorite places" change as I age. No interest in cities, now like small towns, countryside but always with signs of human life. Just came back from Tuscany. So go to wherever appeals to you now but be prepared to be diissatisfied in time and want to move on. And using a mini pocket camera might sharpen your subject selectivity. Or leave your camera at home/hotel some days and just look.

Tuscany when the flowers are in bloom. I agree with the person that said Mt. Rainier - just got back and it was stunningly beautiful. According to a park ranger - late July or early August is the best for wildflowers. Canadian Rockies - the Iceland Parkway-Lake Louise to Jasper - some say one of the most beautiful roads in the world. The southwest - Zion, Bryce Canyon, Grand Canyon, slot canyons, The Wave, Arches, Capitol Reef, Canyonlands, and Monument Valley. You can't go wrong there-it is incredible. Austria and Switzerland - small mountain villages and lakes - beautiful. Italy and France - small villages. New England in fall-Vermont and Kancamagus Scenic Byway in New Hampshire. Your question is a good one...and I could go on and on. I'm always looking for new places too.

People from Finland travel to London to take photographs. People from London fly to Spain. People from Spain go to Switzerland. People from China go to Australia. People from USA go to China. etc. etc. Why is grass always greener on the other side and gets even greener the further away from your home you travel?

• 2 weeks later...