shannon_mcgee

I am moving into a new studio where I am very limited with space. I

also shoot mostly children and have had to hold my breath several

times 2 year olds almost knock over my light stands. Therefore, I

would like to mount my 4 alien bees on the wall. The width of my

room is only 10 feet. Alien Bees suggested I use the Bogen Super

Clamps. I have looked these up but have no idea how I would make

them work. Can anyone offer advice?

I have not use this equipment yet, but I am doing my own research because I will need someting like it in the future. You can dowload the brochures from http://www.bogenimaging.us/ There is PDF brochures (many) Including Clamps & Super clamps brochure and many others tha may be helpfull.

Sorry for my English I hope this help you

Greetings from Mexico City

Shannon, In addition to the Bogen Super clamps, Bogen also offers some other products you might consider. The Wall boom works well in many cases, also look at the Bogen Avenger line of " Baby Plates" . I have also used the Auto Pole system to mount both backgrounds and lights. They are spring loaded poles that lock in place from floor to ceiling and eliminate the legs of a typical lightstand that get in the way. Good Luck, Mark

Hi Shannon.

If you are concerned about your light stands getting knocked over, you may want to consider getting century "C-type" models, like those made by Matthews:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=search&Q=&b=219&a=0&mnp=0.0&mxp=0.0&shs=&ci=5802&ac=&Submit.x=10&Submit.y=8&Submit=Go

Put a heavy sandbag weight on each of the three legs. While there is still a chance the kids might trip on them, there's no way the stands themselves can be knocked over.

Just a thought...

Bogen and Matthews Studio equipment make wall mounted booms. If you have good

ceiling height (11 feet or more) a ceiling mounted rail system makes a lot of sense.

In the meantime get 25lb sandbags for your stands, use two per stand. You can also make

cheap (but not good looking) "ballasts" with 1 gallon plastic milk cartons and play box

sand from Home Depot. Also tape any cables and cords to the floor with either Gaffer's or

even better, tunnel tape. Tunnel tape has adhesive on the edges but not in the center so

your cables remain clean.

Shannon, The ceiling girder system works well but if you are short of money, you could use some Bogen Autopoles which mount between the ceiling and floor, put your Super Clamps on the Autopoles and mount your light on the Superclamp by way of the brass screw head that comes with it or by using the Heavy Duty Flex Arm so you have a bit more movement with your lights...

Shannon-- Most of the above answers are workable. With the Super Clamps, what you need to do is purchase an additional little adapter that fits in the hole in the clamp and mates up with your flash head. After that, you just need to find something to clamp it to.

However, there's an EXTREMELY cheap and non-versitile approach. Back when I was working out of a garage with exposed beams, I purchased some little gizmos with wood screw threads on one side and 1/4" x 20 threads on the other. You use a couple of locked nuts to drive the wood screw end into a stud, and then you can attach pretty much anything you want via the 1/4" x 20. For the Alien Bees, you'll need to get an adapter that screws into a 1/4" x 20, which should be very easy to find at a good camera store. The screws are about 29 cents each, and the adapters are about $3-$5. It can work on a wall, too, but as I mentioned, it's not versitile. Once the screws are in place you leave them there. I had a bunch in strategic places for background illumination, and they came in handy.

Even if you don't have exposed beams, you can still put them in a ceiling. Just get a stud finder from Home Depot and locate the ceiling studs inside the wallboard, then make sure that's where you drive the wood screw in. That's if you don't mind messing up your ceiling.

But if I were you, I'd get the Wescott rig if it's at all within your budget.

Happy shooting. -BC-

Shannon, Bill Cornett has some good ideas on a do-it-yourself setup. His post reminded me of some of the unusual clamps and mounts offered by Lowel:

http://www.lowel.com/clamps.html

In particular, the "bigfoot and scissors mount" and the "screw-in stud" could be a solution for an inexpensive fixed-position wall or ceiling mounting system.

While they are not designed to hold a huge amount of weight, they might work fine with your ABs. If it were me, I'd safety wire the head to a secure eyebolt, just to be sure.

IF you're mounting them to the wall and IF you can predetermine the position (front to back), it's a relatively simple matter to fashion a triangular bracket that bolts to the wall studs. Or possibly use a shelf bracket.

Personally, for a simple solution, I would fashion a bracket out of 2x4s (my wife accusing me of using 2x4s for everything) or even 1x4s that you could bolt the Bee's to. This is what I think I'd to (hope my description is clear):

Take a 18" section of 2x4 for the vertical piece that mounts (by bolts) to the wall. Take a 24" section of 2x4, nail and glue it flat to the top of the vertical at one end (now you have a right angle). Add metal right angle braces on both sides of the joint. Use 2 18" 1x4s to reinforce the bracket (angled at 45 degrees), one on either side. Add a 5" bolt at the end of the horizontal 2x4, coming up from the bottom (with a nut and washer at the top) to mount the Bee on. When you determine the proper placement, make sure you account for the umbrella and/or softbox you may be using.

You could get fancier, but this should work.

• 3 months later...
Any of you with experience with the auto poles for backdrops... I am wondering if the autopoles work on slanted ceilings. My studio is currently undergoing a remodel, and the backdrop wall intersects a slanted ceiling that slopes at about 30 degrees. I am wondering if the ends on the poles pivot to hold to a slanted ceiling, or if they are only for flat ceilings. any help would be much appreciated... i am hoping to get the autopoles soon.