nervous to be working there (?). So anyway, I get a document from the Bride a

week before from this venue and it has a list of do's and dont's. No big deal,

that is understanable.

Well I arrive for the "getting ready" shots in the Bridal Suite. The suite is

5' wide by 9'long. Ok. There is another ceremony going on at the same time so

we were not allowed to move around to take pictures because the other party-

ok. When we were aloowed they told me I had 1 hour to shoot. After 20 minutes

they told me I had 15 more minutes and rushed us out. There was so much goose

poop on the grounds that it took extra time to get the Bridal party around.

The Maitre D came over to the video guy and myself and told us the list of

events (which is fine)but was like "and you will not be served a meal until I

tell you can" I usually do not eat at weddings anyway, so no big deal excaept

the way he said it.

The vendors were treated like scum at this place and I did not particularly

like it at all. I am 3 years into the wedding photog business and have only

photographed 1 other wedding in this manner. That was when I first started

and it was in West Orange overlooking the Manhattan skyline and we were not

treated like that at all.

Do any of you run into these kinds of venues alot? I think I will put a

disclaimer for that place if I have to shoot there again.

Rob

I have a disclamer in my contract saying that I must follow the "house rules". I am bound by what the rules are of the church or venue. I explain the situation to the bride and groom, and tell them I will do my best, but if the officiant at the wedding won't allow me in the sanctuary, I can't get a close up picture of the groom putting the ring on the bride's finger... ect.

Welcome to "real world" wedding photography,....yeah, there are venues like that. Fortunately, not that many but several of the truly upscale joints will serve you a box lunch that you get to eat in the hallway or the kitchen. Sometimes you get to compete with the members of the band and put together your own coldcuts sandwhich. You can put a clause in your contract that you get a "guest meal", but my experience is that the B/G are generally unaware of the situation, so if it becomes an issue you'll have to decide if it's worth bringing to the B/G while they are in the middle of "their day". Personally, I prefer having a cheesburger and fries at the bar, if I get that chance.

I don't run into these kind of places a lot, but sometimes. My favorite one was when I asked for a chair so I could sit down momentarily (not even to eat), since it was a long coverage. I was told there weren't any extra ones, and this was a big hotel. Maybe they had a lot of parties going on that night but I thought that was poor.

Yes. In Virginia, there are two old white confederate houses - the kind with the big pillars and wrap-around verandas. They are owned by different people, and both owners are insane. The vendors are treated horribly. They treat the couples poorly too, and it's very well known among brides -- even before they sign the contract. I've asked clients why they chose the place, and the answer it that the location is so beautiful they're willing to deal with it. Go figure. At least the owner's actions have given me a lot of stories to share with DJs at dinner.

Rich - what places are those?

Robert - sorry - bummer - sometimes the best planning can't even help situations like that. I try to avoid places like that.

Meanwhile.. Just got back from The Round Barn in Waitsfield, VT

That's the place to shoot!! They set a table downstairs in the art gallery with a white tablecloth. The table is set with real napkins etc...for the band and the photographer and assistants. They start you with an arugala salad with a maple balsamic vinegar dressing. There were 9 of us including the band and my two assistants. There is a basket of warm wonderful bread - three kinds of dipping oil and butter. Then the owner of the company came to the table and gave us a choice of filet, Halibut or homemade spinich ravioli with a tomato beurre blanc sauce. Yum.

We've all had some place that was a nightmare to work... That's why I'm asking Rich what places in our area he is talking about so that I can be prepared..

Pete,

I will tell you the place is like "A Mansion" though it looks like a hotel. ANd it is just east of Cherry Hill.

Kari- That is a good point. I will add that to my contract.

Mary,

Thanks for rubbing it in :)

No, actually I have a sensitive stomach and really never eat at the weddings I do. The only thing I really wanted was water and a place to take a load off for a few minutes, and treated with respect.

But hey, 2 out of three aint bad. I guess.