Adopting a Leica M lens to a Nikon F mount

larry_segil

I would like to find a way to mount my Noctilux on my Nikon dSLR body

for large aperture macro photography (a fetish of mine). Is there

any way to do this? Extension rings would certainly be fine if any

of the appropriate mounts exist. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

LJ Segil

www.cameraquest.com offer a Visoflex-to-Nikon F adaptor. Since the Visoflex is tantamount to a standard M bayonet, it would let you fit your Noct to your Nikon D-whatever. It would add several millimetres to the already extended lens-to-focal plane distance, resulting in a severely foreshortened focussing range. Whether you would have enough distance from the front lens glass to your subject to get it lit to your satisfaction, I cannot say.

A somewhat bizarre idea IMHO, but......

In Roger Hicks "Lens Book" (1994), there is a picture of a Leitz 400mm Telyt with a home-

made "adapter" to fit a Nikon F.

Roger made this - according to the caption - from a mixture of Nikon extension tubes, a

Leitz 16466 ring (for the Visoflex) and an old filter with the glass removed.

Apart from lashing up something similar to this, maybe the only answer is to contact SRB

of Luton in the UK, who pride themselves in being able to make any kind of adapter

requested by customers - http://www.srbfilm.co.uk/index1.html

I've used Leica Visoflex lenses on my Nikon DSL for a couple of years using the Cameraquest adapter. You can technically mount the Noctilux using the adapter, but for all practical purposes it is useless for photography as the lens to object distance is so small. You are much better off for macro work, if you insist on Leica glass, using one of the Visoflex mounted lenses and/if desired extension rings. The more practical solution. of course, is to use a Nikon Macro lens on the DSLR.

Larry, could you provide a link to Jonas Yip's work? I've never tried anything like this, but I would think that at macro enlargement ratios, the depth of field with an f/1 lens would be close to 0; and I would assume that you're not thinking of shooting flat objects, as the Noctilux isn't particularly noted for having a flat field.

I'd love to see examples of what you have in mind. Thanks.

this may or may not be useful, but with my adapter which adds almost an inch between the lens and the camera, i get about 2.5" working distance, and the image area is about 1" across (with 1.5 crop).

uh, that's with my summilux, which is probably shorter than the noct. I no longer have the noct.

j