hesitant to get a used one knowing lots of pros use this camera and

it can have film transport problems. I've never bought

internationally but Poon has a good reputation from my research. Any

advice on which way to go ??

Thanx for any response

Marc Laxineta, D.V.M. 951-378-1134 Equine Veterinarian Sports

Photography www.robovet.net

Guys,

I realize this is the Leica forum. I have a couple leicas and have contributed to this forum before. The reason I posted it here is because there seems to be much more participation and I felt there might be some crossover insight. I appreciate your help--

marc

The reason you're in a state of indecision is right here: " I can buy a new one from Poon @ HKsupplies in Hong Kong (1 year warrenty if you send it back to HK) or a used one in " excellent " condition from Adorama. The new one is only 300 bucks more." Adorama's used prices are out of their minds, so are B&H's. If you don't want to risk EBAY, then take a look at KEH. There should be a lot more than $300 bucks separating new and used, given medium format is dead as a doornail.

I purchased a nice clean used one with the 90/2.8 lens for about what Adorama is

charging for the body and lens respectively...those prices hold pretty close with what they

go for on Ebay.

It has very good lenses and a really nice matrix metering system. It's not svelte, or quiet,

or lightweight...but it makes greats images. I really like it.

Marc: I used to shoot with a Pentax 67 and 105 f/2.4. Outstanding lens! I exchanged it for a Hasselblad, because I got tired of the way the battery was always running down. When it did, the mirror would always hang up in mid-cycle, and the shot would be lost. Outside of that, I got great results with it.

There is a saying that if you shoot with Pentax 67, you should own three bodies: one to shoot with; one in reserve for when it breaks; and one in the shop. However, as an amateur, mine did not break. I just got tired of the expense of frequent battery replacement and wasted frames. If I went back to 6x7, I would probably go for a Mamiya 7 or Fuji GS670--the "Texas Leicas."

Rob,

I think some of those issues have been improved with the 67 ii. I want to use it for portraits;landscapes it will live on a tripod and not have to work too hard since I have a couple leica kits and DSLR's for the rest of my work. I just really liked the results with the depth of field in the larger format and it has many choices of lenses (relatively cheap). The guys on the medium format forum turned me on to badger graphics which look like they have new ones (I'll call Thursday).

Thanks for all comments !!

Thanks Marc for your post and the beautiful picture. Very nice shot! I occasionally check this site when I am decompressing from the day rather then switching on the tube. I rarely look at any other forum here other than this one. The only posting that interested me was yours this evening because I saw Pentax ii, so thanks again for posting here. :)

df

I too have done enough business with Poon to feel perfectly comfortable recommending him.

<p>

The P67II is a very nice camera. I don't use mine much, and have sold most of the lenses, but the body and finder never sold -- so I decided to hold onto it. I especially like using it for all kinds of experimental work, where once I figure it out visually and technically I can switch to 4x5 instead. It's a very easy camera to hold and operate, and you can cycle through cheap lenses until you figure out what you really end up using in the long term.

<p>

<a href="http://www.photo.net/photo/2493888">Stuff like this light painting. (P67II, 90-180, Efke 25, Microdol-X.)</a>