capacitors that were perhasp five or six feet high � as I recall �

and put 40,000 watt-seconds through one flash head. In 1979, I

assisted Rudi Legname in San Francisco once with a

champagne shot, and he had one. It was impressive. I was used

to Balcars, Broncolors, and newer Ascors. Very few of those

units were around then, and apparently none of them have

survived.

Norm Landes

About 22 years ago, I worked at a large studio that had an Ascor lighting system. One day, the head photographer gathered all of us young assistants for a demonstration of the Ascor system. He popped the "Sun tube" flash head into a sheet of newspaper mounted a few feet away on an arm. Set the paper on fire in one pop.

It was used mainly to light large room set's when we shot live talent (models). Heavy weight equipment and they had a peculiar smell to them (maybe just the setup from the studio).

Brian

• 1 month later...

As recently as a decade ago, I found commercial photographers selling old (used) Ascor systems you describe. A good friend of mine, a commercial photographer in Chicago, owned an Ascor system. As stated by other respondents, it was impressive.

I believe the primary reason the Ascor systems may have all but disappeared is because the capacitors utilized PCBs.

In the late 1990s, I discussed the purchase of a used Ascor system with a photographer from Portland, Oregon. Although he sold his Ascor system to another photographer, I did manage to photo-copy the Ascor instruction manual before he shipped his Ascor strobe equipment to the new owner.

Thomas Schultz

Shingle Springs, California

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

<p>The studio I work with is in posession of a stack of Ascor generators and a few strobes (I believe they are part of the Sun Gun model). We were hoping to fire these off, but unfortunately the power cord seems to be missing. I was thinking I'd just build a new cord shopping McMaster-Carr, but I'm missing some critical information. I was hoping someone here may have some information regarding the amps these unit pulled. </p>

<p>I'm having a difficult time finding any technical info, official paperwork, or even photos of these units. Any information would be great, an extra power cord would be even better. Thanks!</p>

<p>Victor</p>

<p>I've had a difficult time finding any information on the old Ascor Sun units. I work at a studio in NYC, and there has been this stack of capacitors in storage since i've been here. Most recently I was asked to set them up for the sake of nostalgia.. unfortunately the power cord seems to be missing. </p>

<p>I've run around to all the district photo vendor's asking for help on the matter. I've been advised to donate them to the scrap yard, or find an elusive character by the name of Allen Nye who used to service these back in the day. I've also been instructed to build my own power cord, but easier said than done. Since these units are notorious for arcing, I'm a bit apprehensive on going this route. Looking at McMaster-Carr, their supply of twist-lock plug diagrams isn't really helping me identify this particular prong setup (all their twist locks have a perpindicular tab on the largest prong). Is anyone aware of the amps these units pulled? Even better, is there a spare power cord out there (photo attached to the post)?</p>

<p>Thanks in advance for any help on the matter.</p>

<p>Victor</p><div>00WXJr-246857584.thumb.jpg.b957d9a1bcbc23593d26703c8fbcd516.jpg</div>

• 3 months later...
<p> Two years ago someone gave me a eight Ascor condensers and four of the normal flash heads. The charger overheated while I was trying to use it, so I put it away. It now sits in a storage place. Yesterday other person who recieved other half of the condensers and other charger gave me four of his six condensers and two Sungun flash tubes, as he is retiring. He plans to use charger, two condenser and one flash head. Would like to know if you were able to get your Ascor set up to work. I see from the images you posted, that your charger is like the one I have that over heated. I have seen later models of the chargers and may be able to pick one up cheap or for no cost. Would like some imput on how to use the set up, thinking maybe I did something wrong to make it overheat. John Moye</p>

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 8 months later...
<p>I have been reading this discussion about the "SunGun", as I used to call it, with great interest. I just joined this forum and saw that it has been going on for about 3 years. I have a Series 800 Sunlight with 8 - 800w banks. It has not been used in many years since I moved out of my studio and started shooting all location in the early 90's. They just sit in storage now. My power supply was the deluxe unit at the time that has 2 chrome handles on top and sits on the banks that are on a rolling cart. It had a switch for a modeling light, the charge power meter and test button on the front panel. The light head that I used was the 40,000 ws unit that I used in a home made 4x8 ft light box. This unit was purchased sometime in the 70's. I heard many stories of electrocuted assistants and dead photographers, but I never knew anyone personally who was harmed. Yes, it could be dangerous, but you had to be very very careful about your connections and making sure that you did not turn on the power supply without everything properly plugged, or more importantly, try to unplug anything with the power on and it not being discharged when off. That noise of electricity powering the condensers after each "pop" was scary. I took a lot of great product and people shots with that flash system. One photographer I knew used to borrow it to shoot "pour shots" and other things that needed a short flash duration with an f/stop around 32 to 45 on 4x5. Duration was around 1/4500 of a sec. It may be surprising to those on this forum, but I have the original owners manual with all the specs and probably the most valuable thing, is that I have the only set of schematics that I know of that were sent to me from Ascor so I could have a circuit repaired in the 80's. The date on the schematics is 1972 and it seems they were hand drawn. Someone once offered me $200 for them but I did not want to give them up. I even have a brand new 40,000 ws flash tube made by GE in the original box purchased in 1979. Not sure what I am ever going to do with the stuff since it has been in storage. I was an Atlanta photographer but have semi retired and moved to the mountains. I have a lot of fond memories using that sun gun.</p>

<p> Did not realize this forum about the Ascor Sun Gun system was still going on. I am John Moye, and my system is still in storage. Ben are you still in need of Ascor components? If so, and you are near Chicago. Come on by. I tried getting them into a studio, but it seems almost everyone in Chicago has forgotten about them. Think that Devon Reno, who does flash repair. May be the only one left, who knows anything about the Ascor Sun Gun system. Devon can be reached at (708)798-1774-Office, or (708)870-1060-Cell</p>

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...